2003 Yamaha 2 stroke 25hp charging capabilities and tachometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Yamaha 2 stroke 25hp charging capabilities and tachometer question

Hi I have 2003 25HP Yamaha 2 stroke manual start. Model 25MSHB How can I make the engine charge my battery? I would also like to run a tachometer to prop the engine right.. Thanks.

Buy and connect a rectifier or rectifier/regulator to the lighting coils under the flywheel. Run a fused wire from the R or R/R to the battery.

Tap into one of the lighting coil output leads to obtain a signal for the tachometer.

Comment

Can you supply me a part number for the rectifier?

Comment

Originally posted by Maritime68 View Post
        Can you supply me a part number for the rectifier?
        Yamaha part or non-Yamaha part? A rectifier and not a rectifier/regulator?

Comment

either one, which ever one will make my battery charge without any issues... Thanks

Comment

a rectifier changes AC power to DC.
            the rectifer/regulator changes AC to Dc and keeps the voltage in control to keep from over charging the battery by bleeding off the excess.

but then I do not think that 25 puts out very much power( maybe 6 amps) probably need to look that up to be sure

Comment

There are many ways to skin this cat. I would go with a non-Yamaha R/R and leave it outside of the cowling. Maybe at the battery. Yamaha makes a cable to do this with. Part number 682-84380-00-00.

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/682-84380-00-00?q_ref=682-84380-00-00

Of course you could just string your own wires and save some money.

I would then get a cheap aftermarket R/R and connect it to the leads that come from the motor at one end and to the battery posts at the other end. For instance.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...-esp10150.html

Comment

Working...
              X