No announcement yet.

Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke FI Miss / stutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok another maybe stupid ?.........from all the diagrams that i have seen ...... i cant see anythying under the water pump that would MAKE or Break the water pump from working ....i mean the boat propeller will work going forward and reverse........ so maybe im missing something but im still at a loss

Comment

Just to clarify, you assembled the WP completely, wrapped the driveshaft, submerged in water and spun it over at least 700 RPMs?

And nothing?

Did you inspect under the pick up screens?

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

did you replace the WP housing also?
        if there is any sign of damage from heat or other things that plastic piece needs to be replaced.

make sure you have the proper kit and have all gaskets and o rings in place.

you said you did not submerge the lower unit all the way to cover the pump, it might be a good idea to get it all the way to the pump, as they do not suck air very good to pull water up into the pump

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          Just to clarify, you assembled the WP completely, wrapped the driveshaft, submerged in water and spun it over at least 700 RPMs?

And nothing?

Did you inspect under the pick up screens?
          yes i bought a complete wp kit from yamaha housing and all ....... had the lower unit submerged all the way to the top of the lower unit casing the only part that wasnt submerged was the dowel pins in the lower unit and ran the drill slow...then faster....then throttled it a coulple quick times ...and nothing ......

Comment

Mr Big time

Are the passages under the pump that go down to the inlet screens clear?? Remove the inlet screens and make sure those passages are clear up to the pump. You can simply pour water down the hole under the pump and see if it drains freely out the intake ports.

If the water inlet passage is clear then you have the pump assembled incorrectly.

Put the lower unit right down in the water to test so just the pump outlet is barely started sticking out. The pump is not self priming and has to have water in it to start pumping.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtime57 View Post

yes i bought a complete wp kit from yamaha housing and all ....... had the lower unit submerged all the way to the top of the lower unit casing the only part that wasnt submerged was the dowel pins in the lower unit and ran the drill slow...then faster....then throttled it a coulple quick times ...and nothing ......
              I have not seen a Yamaha WP kit that contained a WP housing, always had to buy separately

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I have not seen a Yamaha WP kit that contained a WP housing, always had to buy separately
                you are correct ..i mis stated when i said i bought as a complete kit.... when i ordered the internal parts it said "usually purchased with " and it was the housing...... sorry didnt mean to confuse anyone ....

Comment

well ,I thought it may be aftermarket kit/parts

if you are sure you have the correct parts and installed them properly,
                  time to make sure up are getting water to the pump for it to pump.

or take to a good shop

Comment

well guys i have taken this thing out and checked rechecked and checked again...and still nothing....so i have swallowed my pride and taken it to a shop to check it out............ i will let you know what i find out..........and yes if its something i was doing wrong ...ill admit it to you all....... just gonna suck to pay someone to tell me i did it wrong.........lol ...sorry sometimes you just have to laugh at life and live another day

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtime57 View Post
                      well guys i have taken this thing out and checked rechecked and checked again...and still nothing....so i have swallowed my pride and taken it to a shop to check it out............ i will let you know what i find out..........and yes if its something i was doing wrong ...ill admit it to you all....... just gonna suck to pay someone to tell me i did it wrong.........lol ...sorry sometimes you just have to laugh at life and live another day
                      It takes Big man to admit to his faults
                      Good for you!

Comment

update..... the marine shop found that the new water pump housing had a crack in the seam and replaced it and now the pump is pumping.............bad part it the motor still going into "limp" mode and still no alarm sounding it will just go to half throttle for no reason when running the motor

Comment

I thought you checked the buzzer earlier in the thread to make sure it worked

Comment

I thought you checked the buzzer earlier in the thread to make sure it worked
                            the buzzer does work and when they put it back in the water the water flow was perfect out the pee hole and it started doing the same thing as before going into limp mode and no buzzer .........
                            so they took it back out of the water and took and hooked it up to a diagnostics computer and it threw a "shift position" code.....my thoughts is that its been the shift sensor the whole time i just stumbled upon the impeller by elimination ....... well....$482.20 later my boat is back in the slip ready for the Labor Day Weekend on Lake Cumberland Ky.....thanks for everyones input and knowledge...ive learned alot
                            Last edited by Bigtime57; 08-27-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Oh, so the ECU thought the motor was still in neutral maybe so it limited the RPM?

did they replace the shift switch or just adjust it?

Comment

Oh, so the ECU thought the motor was still in neutral maybe so it limited the RPM?

did they replace the shift switch or just adjust it?
                                Exactly....he told me the engine thought it was going in neutral so it dropped the RPM's ..... since the motor wont rev up in Neutral...... makes a lot of sense once he told me what the code was

I had him go ahead and replace the switch ...... switch was actually pretty cheap considering .....so i was happy as i could be on the bill....labor and parts all $482.... bad enough but .......its a boat!!!! $$$$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                                X