Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lifeisfun View Post
    Bigtime57
    this is off topic but like to ask you favour, could you please check on your f60 if you have any play on your prop up down left right?
    It would feel like slight click click moving it.
    Thanks
    i checked mine for play and its tight in all directions

Comment

Originally posted by Bigtime57 View Post
      Well guys I have spoken to soon on my fix..... thought everything was fine but now its overheating again..... did a static flush and found 2 small pieces of vein rubber that came out...... but now I cant get water to my thermostat..... i took the thermostat out and it was dry ...... havent ran it hardly any due to getting hot i dont want to damage anything ........ but im at a loss on where to start to see what blocking the passage to the thermostat.....im guessing more veins......any suggestions?
      Yam99 has posted about removing the LU and hooking a hose to the water intake tube(up to the power head).

Flush with water and high pressure air in the water jackets, etc..

He'll chime in..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

here is what I wrote in another thread

I have had luck with smaller OBs with hooking a water hose to the output tube of the water pump that heads up to the power head, with lower unit off,
        turning water on full blast and injecting compressed air from time to time into the water stream with the stats out.
        the air helps move things around that are not grown to the walls of the cooling passages.

if that does not help them pull the heads and exhaust cover to inspect/ clean.

Comment

i checked mine for play and its tight in all directions
          Thank you!

Comment

Update......... ended up taking the lower unit back off and used water hose to spray water up the tube from the water pump and water came out of the thermostat opening and pee hole..... so put it all back together and started on muffs and nothing........ I then took the Exhaust head off and it was clear of any debris.........this has me totally stumped....... something keeps telling me that its in the water pump....but i have checked it a dozen times ............... if i can get water to go from the water pump tube to all locations and when i static flush water comes out perfect.....so it has to be the pump......................scratching my head

Comment

If you put water thru that water pipe and it got to the powerhead, you just ruled the WP ISN'T pumping / working.

Are you rotating the drive shaft clockwise (looking downward at the unit) as you slide the impeller housing down over the vanes?

Is the SS cup and housing in excellent condition and properly installed(cup in the housing)?
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                If you put water thru that water pipe and it got to the powerhead, you just ruled the WP ISN'T pumping / working.

Are you rotating the drive shaft clockwise (looking downward at the unit) as you slide the impeller housing down over the vanes?

Is the SS cup and housing in excellent condition and properly installed(cup in the housing)?
                yes it is a new stainless cup...and yes i have turned the shaft clockwise when i slid it over the veins........ im telling you this has me stumped........

Comment

The first pic is how my impeller looked when i took it apart................. the second is what it looked like last night when i took it apart to try and find out why it isnt pumping

Comment

Could there be some impeller parts under the wear plate (fell down in there preventing enough water pick up)?

Here is the parts diagram for your engine: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

Perhaps re-check and peek under the wear plate, that all is as it should be and again, no impeller parts under there..

Check under the water intakes, (parts 10 and 11) to make sure those passages are clear too

It'd be nice if you could spin the drive shaft, with the LU in water, (off the engine) and see what happens. That drive shaft I'm sure is too big for a 1/2" drill motor to spin..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-13-2019, 03:41 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

The first pic is how my impeller looked when i took it apart................. the second is what it looked like last night when i took it apart to try and find out why it isnt pumping
                      The key is on the shaft right?

Comment

i took it all off when i first changed the impeller and cleaned up all the small pieces i could find....... i tried both my drill and neither would open up enough to go over the shaft...i even went thru my deep well sockets looking for a fit .....but no luck.........................but in my mind i wonder what could it be if i do find a bigger drill which im going to my uncles tonight to see what he has..he has some big old drills!!! and water doenst come out ........ i mean unless im missing something there isnt anything else in there to prevent the pump from pumping

Comment

Originally posted by lifeisfun View Post

The key is on the shaft right?
                          yes i have made sure it is on the key and the impeller i got only has the keyway on one side and doesnt go all the way thru to the top of the impeller

Comment

i hope i can ask this question and it make sense....... in this pic you see where the old impeller is setting ....that peice of aluminum type material the pump bolts to....does that come off? i cant see how it would come off ..not bolts that i can see......

Comment

i hope i can ask this question and it make sense....... in this pic you see where the old impeller is setting ....that peice of aluminum type material the pump bolts to....does that come off? i cant see how it would come off ..not bolts that i can see......
                              That's part of the LU (cast as part of the rest of the case)..

If you click on this link: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
                              you can see what belongs where, what parts are required..

Good idea with the socket... I suspect if you have an adapter for a socket to drill motor, you could use a socket attached to the top of the shaft.
                              Good old duct tape between both(so you don't tear up the splines), then tape the heck out of the shaft to socket. Use enough tape, on a clean shaft, and it'll hold to spin over.

You'll need about 700 RPMs out of the drill motor (about the same as your idle)..

Did you look under the wear plate (if ANY roughness, replace it) that resides under the impeller?
                              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

That's part of the LU (cast as part of the rest of the case)..

If you click on this link: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1
                                you can see what belongs where, what parts are required..

Good idea with the socket... I suspect if you have an adapter for a socket to drill motor, you could use a socket attached to the top of the shaft.
                                Good old duct tape between both(so you don't tear up the splines), then tape the heck out of the shaft to socket. Use enough tape, on a clean shaft, and it'll hold to spin over.

You'll need about 700 RPMs out of the drill motor (about the same as your idle)..

Did you look under the wear plate (if ANY roughness, replace it) that resides under the impeller?
                                ok i just came in from working on the lower unit.... i took your advice and wrapped tape around the shaft and submerged it up to the top of the lower unit but not over the pump....and run the drill and absolutly nothing ....not even a bubble ....... so that is where my problem is ....under that impeller ....and yes i put a new wear plate on as well it came with my kit..........

so please forgive my ignorance but how does someone get to that area under the water pump?

Comment

Working...
                                X