Battery voltage meter sits at 0 while boat runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery voltage meter sits at 0 while boat runs

On my 2009 F115TXR, the needle on the voltage meter doesn't move when the boat is running. How can I tell if I am draining the battery or if the meter isn't working?

hook up a hand held volt meter to measure battery voltage and then start up the motor to see if voltage goes up

Comment

What make/brand is the guage?

Comment

To measure battery voltage, do you mean put the voltmeter leads on the battery positive and negative connections?

And it looks like the gauge is made by Faria Corp.
        Thanks, you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha115OB View Post
          To measure battery voltage, do you mean put the voltmeter leads on the battery positive and negative connections?

And it looks like the gauge is made by Faria Corp.
          Thanks, you guys.
          Yes for the leads. While running.

Boscoe, on this forum, might like to buy your guage. He likes analog stuff, including paddle wheels. Too bad the boat builder didn’t use the Yamaha gauges.......I’m betting your guage sht the bed.

Comment

the battery voltage can be measured just about any where, but at the battery would be the best place.
            that eleminates all other connections that could give false readings

Comment

To add, if you disconnect leads at the gauge and measure voltage there, and you have varying voltage(charging, static, etc), you know the gauge itself is toast..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Faria will fix there product's.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Yes for the leads. While running.

Boscoe, on this forum, might like to buy your guage. He likes analog stuff, including paddle wheels. Too bad the boat builder didn’t use the Yamaha gauges.......I’m betting your guage sht the bed.
                  Boscoe is in the git rid of sh1t mode. Not taking on more crap.

Does the fact that the volt meter needle and the fuel quantity needle are on zero indicate anything?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Boscoe is in the git rid of sh1t mode. Not taking on more crap.

Does the fact that the volt meter needle and the fuel quantity needle are on zero indicate anything?
                    Is the boat in driveway with battery off or running in the pic? Who knows?

Comment

Could also just be a broken/dirty connection on the back of the gauge.
                      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

So, with the boat not running, the voltage at the battery is 13V. With the boat running, the voltage is 14.6V. So, I guess it's charging and there is an issue with the gauge. I'll try to see if I can get under the dash and measure the voltage at the gauge.

Comment

you are right and on the correct path
                          or is it you are correct and on the right path
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 07-21-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            you are right and on the correct path
                            or is it you are correct and on the right path
                            Couldn't the pathway that goes to the left ALSO be the correct one?

Some gauge panels are simply held in place with a few screws. Before you start contorting yourself, it's sometimes easier to just remove the panel. Obviously you know better than us - just throwing that out there in case you were overlooking it.
                            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for the tip about taking the panel off...saved me a lot of time and maybe a hip replacement. So, does anyone know which leads go to the voltage meter? As you can see in the photos, there are four wires. Black, blue, purple and pink. This gauge shows the fuel level also...and it works. The key wasn't on in my previous photo and that is why the fuel gauge was zero.

Comment

Working...
                              X