6Y9 CommandLink with 2005 F250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6Y9 CommandLink with 2005 F250

We purchased an older boat that originally had Twin OX66 250s and was repowered with rebuilt 2005 F250s build 12/05 and 6P2 code. I haven't been back to the boat to confirm, but I was told by Seller that they are CL enabled. The boat currently still has round 2-stroke gauges, two tachs, a speed, and fuel. I am starting to put together some framework to rearrange the panel, and considering what to do about the gauges. I found a decent 6Y9 gauge and am trying to research whether this will work with the very early CL F250s? And if so, what all will I need to get it hooked up starting with nothing except the connector on the engines?

I found some vague Yamaha publications that show the F250 6P2 engines as 6Y9 compatible, but I wasn't sure I was following correctly.

I know this has likely been covered somewhere, but being new to this, I don't know what to really search for, so I appreciate any help or a point in the right direction. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by ZooKeeper; 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM.

well, 6Y9 is Command Link Plus -
    only "Digital Electronic Control" engine is compatible with that.

I assume you mean 6Y8 - Command Link

I suggest you look at the engine ECM and se what numbers are scribed into it;
    if it is "-20" you are good to go.

When Yamaha "introduced" Command Link in late 2005,
    they provided this chart:

Now subsequently, some of those listed '2005' ECM versions
    have 'anecdotally' been reported to have 'some' NMEA 2000 output -
    so, by extension, perhaps may work with a 6Y8 gauge.

But personally, I would be hesitant to purchase a 6Y8 gauge & wiring
    with a -10 ECM

Comment

Thanks, I will check out the ECUs and confirm - number.

So the 6Y9 is only Command Link + ?

I was reviewing this link and saw the 6Y9 as Command Link or Command Link Pro, and the F250 6P2 listed in the compatible engines, but I am not sure how to interpret this exactly.

https://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/Root...-12016-001.pdf

Comment

Yes, 6Y9 is CL+

That document is, I believe, put together by Simrad -
        presumably after some degree of collaboration with Yamaha-
        and is "mostly correct"
        (If there is such a thing as "Command Link Pro" I have not heard of it)

I don't see what the * next to the engine models refers to
        but yes, all those engines are Command Link capable if made after 2005

so - for instance - they list the F115A 68V
        that has been made since the year 2000
        the 2000-2004 models are definitely not CL compatible

Comment

Ah, makes sense, thank you again. Sounds like I need the - number first and foremost and then will report back.

Comment

I was able to look at the ECMs and they are stamped 6P2-22 and 6P2-21. I also verified the white connector with blue and white wires that is capped under the front of the cowling.

Am I correct that I can use a 6YC display? Would like to get away from 4 round or square gauges unless you all have experience they are preferable/better?

Should I look into a NMEA display instead that can double as a second screen for other things?

And if anyone could help point me in the right direction as to what I’ll need as far as hardware and cables to install a CL gauge from the engine fwd, I’d appreciate it.

Comment

Do you have two right turn motors? Seems so. Unusual but not unheard of. How does the boat run?

It is all in here. https://online.flowpaper.com/7c250766/2019MRP/#page=1

Comment

Thanks for the link, need do some more
                research on what goes where in that diagram. One is a left engine, do the ECM numbers indicate otherwise to you?

Comment

Originally posted by ZooKeeper View Post
                  Thanks for the link, need do some more
                  research on what goes where in that diagram. One is a left engine, do the ECM numbers indicate otherwise to you?
                  6P2 is the prefix for an F250TXR. Which is what I suspect that you have since you did not provide the complete model ID. It has a standard lower unit installed which turns the propeller in a clock wise direction when viewed from behind. Normally installed on the right side of the transom.

6P3 is the prefix for an LF250TXR. Referred to as a counter rotation model. Propeller turns counter clock wise. Normally installed on the left side of the transom.

The ECU dash number is not related to the type of lower unit that is installed. Either a -20-00 or a -21-00 ECU will provide you with the Command Link compatibility that you are after. The same model with a different production date could have a different part number installed. Rolling changes are now being made by Yamaha.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe - The left engine is a 6P3 LF250TUR. Right is a 6P2 L250TUR. I didn't catch that before.

Comment

Originally posted by ZooKeeper View Post
                      Thanks Boscoe - The left engine is a 6P3 LF250TUR. Right is a 6P2 L250TUR. I didn't catch that before.
                      you put a L in both of those model #s
                      probably meant to put a F in the last one instead of the L

Comment

Yes, thanks again: 6P3 LF250TUR. Right is a 6P2 F250TUR

Comment

I've got my parts list together, thanks for the advice.

Are there any good reasons to get a speed sensor kit for one engine? I'll have gps hooked into the 6YC. I like the idea of having water speed, but not sure I'll ever need it? Sounds like most don't bother and everything runs fine off gps speed?

Comment

unless you make long trips in strong currents, I see no reason to have it

Comment

Working...
                            X