relocating tilt trim switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relocating tilt trim switch

I have a Worldcat boat with twin Yamaha 150s. The tilt trim switches are located on the outside of the motors. That is great if you have the boat at the dock and can walk around the outside of it. It is not so good if you are in the boat because you are standing between the motors. I am wondering if the switches can be relocated to the inside of the motors. It looks like there is a place where they could be installed that seems to have a blank cover in the similar location to the switch. Even better would be if there is a "Y" harness that would allow the switches to be located in both places.

Anyone know if this is possible?

What model 150's? Two strokes, four strokes, carburetors, HPDI, OX66 or ????

Comment

The motors are 2018 four strokes.

Comment

I have to ask why you cannot use the switch at the helm while in the boat instead

Comment

I can, if I am in the front of the boat. Often, I am on the platform between the motors at the back of the boat for things like flushing the motors or if you have to tilt the motors when out at sea. It would be much more convenient if I could tilt the motors from the rear of the boat. When you are out in the boat, it is very difficult to reach the tilt switches with them on the outside of the motors.

Comment

No problemo. Just move the switches from one side to the other and the covers from one side to the other.

Comment

I just reread your first message.

It would not be an onerous task to install a second switch to each motor if that is what you are contemplating. No Y harness from Yamaha but it would not be a laborious task to fabricate one.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I have to ask why you cannot use the switch at the helm while in the boat instead
                He has a somewhat unique situation given that twins on a catamaran are sometimes spaced widely apart. Some motors are mounted to the extreme outside position.

I have heard of catamarans mounting the motors contrary to conventional wisdom such that left motor is on the right and the right motor is on the left. This would put the trim/tilt switches on the inside.

Comment

I had not had time to look at it in detail but I thought it looked like the switches could be installed in either location. Shame they do not make a "Y" harness. That would be ideal.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by catowner View Post
                    I had not had time to look at it in detail but I thought it looked like the switches could be installed in either location. Shame they do not make a "Y" harness. That would be ideal.

Thanks for the input.
                    Folks would then be bitching about the price. lol

Comment

Switched mine..no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                      X