OX66 225 Battery Leads/Cables question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX66 225 Battery Leads/Cables question

Does any one know the wire gauge associated with the Battery Leads/Cables for the OX66 225? Looks like i may have a bad one in my rigging. Yamaha wants 275.00 for a set and that seems a bit ridiculous if only one of the two is bad.

The answer is 1 gauge for the positive and negative battery wires. For the secondary charging wire its 8 gauge. From what i have been told by a tow boat captain Yamahas have a wire chaffing problem with the battery cable bundle. From what I have discovered, he is probably correct. The secondary charging wire(if thats really what it is) broke inside the insulation. This is also the likely candidate that burned out my stator last year. Likely that it also causes the motor to surge 2-300 RPM on cruise. Also causes the VST pump to surge as well - This can be seen on the fuel flow meter. Unfortunately, these are the symptoms of a deteriorating(or breaking) secondary charge wire.

Comment

I don't have the detail for the "OX66 225"
      but here is the gauge and length for the cables provided with newer 4-strokes

Comment

Originally posted by Parker2510_OX66 View Post
        The answer is 1 gauge for the positive and negative battery wires. For the secondary charging wire its 8 gauge. From what i have been told by a tow boat captain Yamahas have a wire chaffing problem with the battery cable bundle. From what I have discovered, he is probably correct. The secondary charging wire(if thats really what it is) broke inside the insulation. This is also the likely candidate that burned out my stator last year. Likely that it also causes the motor to surge 2-300 RPM on cruise. Also causes the VST pump to surge as well - This can be seen on the fuel flow meter. Unfortunately, these are the symptoms of a deteriorating(or breaking) secondary charge wire.
        If a tow boat captain said that Yamaha's have a wire chaffing problem then that is proof that they have a problem.

Those aux charging cables wires are known to cause all sorts of electrical mayhem.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

If a tow boat captain said that Yamaha's have a wire chaffing problem then that is proof that they have a problem.

Those aux charging cables wires are known to cause all sorts of electrical mayhem.
          Yes they do......as i just found out this weekend.

Comment

Hey Cap. If you have a picture, would you please post. I have the same motors.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Considering running house battery off aux cable in my boat. Can you be more specific on the mayhem?

Comment

I have a feeling he was referring to a towboat captain knowing that THAT problem was common

Comment

Parker, did you also replace the charging leads? I have a similar situation as you are describing in regards to the charging leads and engine performance. When I bought the engine (about 5 years ago), I found out the stator was bad and replaced it. The previous owner didn't know it was bad since he was running a large solar panel on the hardtop. BUT, I also have that occasional surging of a couple hundred RPM's. It's relatively slow to surge - takes maybe 5 seconds to slowly surge up or down. Only happens around 3,800 RPMs, though.

I was also wondering if deleting the charging cable (I have two batteries with a typical 1-2-Both-Off switch) and using an automatic charging relay would be a better solution? I'm not super familiar with ACR's, but it seems like it would fit the bill? Either that, or just alternate battery use with the switch.

Sorry for the slight hijack, but this is the first time I have heard of a possible cause for this surging issue.

2000 SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                  X