2007 F250 code 72

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 F250 code 72

recently while running my boat on plane (4,000 rpm) I got a check engine flash on my CL gauge. Code 72. Port intake cam sensor. Went home swapped port and starboard sensors, went back out, code 72.only happens at plane speeds, I can idle all day, no code. Takes 20-30 mins to appear when first leaving, then 5-10 mins subsequently. All gauges are within normal, dead middle actually, and once I idle down and restart motor, code clears. Is there any chance my water pressure sensor (original until today, I have had boat serviced annually at Yamaha dealer and never heard about sensor issues) has caused this gremlin? Batteries new, full charge. Any ideas would be great.

you did not say if it was still the port sensor that showed up after swapping them or did it move to the starboard.

I think the cam moves when oil pressure rises with RPM, might be that a little filter is plugging up

Comment

What model F250?

Clean the variable cam shaft drive mechanism as 99yam suggests. Then, if the code returns I would be digging into a voltage drop issue to the sensor. Or a connectivity issue to the sensor and/or from the sensor.

Please confirm if you do or do not have either the optional water pressure sensor or the optional speed sensor installed.

Comment

Sorry, wasn’t very clear on that. I swapped cam sensors after the first code, ran it and after 20-30 mins got code 72 (check engine flashed first) again, port in cam sensor. So, great mechanic at Garrison Bight Marina told me about a tech bulletin on the water pressure sensor, thought I didn’t have speed sensor but told me how they corrode, throw crazy codes, and eventually contaminate and ruin the harness. Bought a sensor from them, installed it, but saw that I have a SS sensor also. So, I took water pressure one off, put new one on, put water pressure sensor on speed, and ran it. Immediately speed sensor was reading off, 17 mph at idle and 19.9 mpg flashing! Went back, put original speed sensor back in, no codes so far! Plan is to replace speed sensor ASAP, it will fail based on Yamaha Tech bulletin.

Comment

And what little filter are you referencing? I try hard to maintain my motor, so any help is appreciated.

Comment

underneath each of the Oil control Valves is a combination gasket/screen

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...P2-12403-00-00

Comment

Haven’t pulled the cowling, but how hard is it to get to that filter? And thanks for all the help!

Comment

The OCVs are right on top -

the port side not quite as readily visible as the starboard

Comment

Gremlin still there. Waiting on speed sensor, but yesterday check engine came on about 20 mins after first starting out, then would come on again about every 5-8 mins if at plane.idling or 12-1500 rpm for hours it pops no code. One thing I didn’t mention is rpms drop slightly right before check engine light comes on. Code 72. Restarting motor clears the code. I did notice if I don’t clear the code, it idles higher (8-900 rpm vs 600 normal). I haven’t done the small filters yet, waiting on parts to come in.
                  Last edited by Cmatthews7; 07-15-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Did you figure it out? I have a similar issue on my f250

Comment

Working...
                    X