1985 Etlk Overheating Tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Etlk Overheating Tone?

I’m looking to find the part/sensor that’s giving a constant audible tone when I turn the key on. From what I found searching this site it’s the overheating alarm.

Obviously it’s not overheating as soon as I turn over the key. Do any of you happen to know where of have the schematic showing where this sensor is located?

ID plate on motor reads:
    150ETLK 664 L 401769

Boscoe can no doubt help you out with this.

My only input is to point out,
    that it makes no sense for Yamaha to design a system
    which gives an 'overheat alarm' before the engine is even started.
    What would be the point?
    what would one do - go away and come back later in hopes it cooled down?

now in contrast,
    a low / no oil presence alarm -
    I can imagine that would be a good thing to know before starting the engine...

Comment

how do you know it is overheat?
      are your gauges telling you that is what the alarm is?

I do not think they had any water in fuel alarms back in 85, so oil or overheat maybe,

Comment

This was only my assumption from reading other posts. The con*****er and motor are the same year so is there another realistic possibility as to what it is?

Comment

do you have oil tanks on this boat and motor?
          if so the alarm could be low oil level or bad wiring to oil or overheat

Comment

In a single Yamaha there is no beep or other tone when the key is turned on. Normally anyway.

Two things will set the alarm with the key on. Normally anyway. Over temperature or low oil quantity in the engine mounted main oil tank. A low voltage condition can set the alarm but that is not normal.

As noted, check the oil tank level. If low that is what is setting the alarm. Fill the tank and retest. If the alarm goes away then find out why the oil level was low. Could be low oil in the boat tank.

If you suspect that it is over temperature related (a false over temperature if the motor is cold) then disconnect the pink leads to the two thermoswitches and turn the key on. Does the alarm sound or not. Location of the thermoswitches is shown below:

Comment

Thanks. I have two oil tanks one is the main tank then another that’s mounted onto the motor head. I recently found the manual online and sure enough it appears to be low oil and visually the tank is low. (Smh). What is the pout pose of the secondary tank that’s mounted to the engine? The other is located within the battery compartment near the transom.

Comment

the main oil tank is on the motor and it is what furnishes oil for the motor to use.
                the remote tank is located in the hull and it is used to automatically fill the main tank when it gets low.
                if the remote tank is low it will not automatically fill the one on the motor

you still have not said if you have gauges that tell what the problem is
                Last edited by 99yam40; 07-07-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X