Water Pressre vs. Temp Gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pressre vs. Temp Gauge?

I am running a 1994 2 stroke 90 h.p. Yamaha presently with a temp gauge. I would like to add a water pressure gauge to my motor as well. Is there anyway I can hook up both water pressure gauge and temp gauge to the engine? if so then how? Please comment to your beliefs on which is better in case what I want to do is not feasible. Thanks!

"where there's a will, there's a way" is what my mother used to say

I haven't a clue if there are any easily removable plugs on a 1994 2 stroke 90 h.p

but if you have a "tell tale indicator" - aka pisser -
    it works via a hose -
    and you can simply "Tee" into that hose to get a meaningful pressure reading

Last edited by fairdeal; 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to be rude in anyway but I have ask why do you want a water pressure gage?

You have a tell tale to let you know the water pump is indeed pumping water up to the engine. And you have a temp gage that is telling you that the cooling water is flowing through the engine passages as it should.

Just asking.

Comment

For the temperature Teleflex makes a bracket that holds a sender that is held against the cylinder head. With heat transfer compound between the sender and the head.

Comment

Comment

So I want to ask.... do you all feel that the temp gauge is better than a water pressure gauge?

I am finding out after visiting my local marine that Yamaha is basically screwing me. I have a Yamaha gauge along with the tubing complete with compression ferrule and compression nuts. But they will not just sell the adapter that goes in the block unless I buy the tubing kit. Once I buy the tubing kit i will have to buy new ferrules at 8 dollars a piece. So when it's all said and done I need to come out of pocket an additional 60 bucks or so in addition to the 30 bucks I spent on a like new used gauge! I could get a new aftermarket kit for less.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
              I don't mean to be rude in anyway but I have ask why do you want a water pressure gage?

You have a tell tale to let you know the water pump is indeed pumping water up to the engine. And you have a temp gage that is telling you that the cooling water is flowing through the engine passages as it should.

Just asking.
              In my case I used a water pressure gauge to somewhat monitor the condition of the water pump impeller over time. At X RPM I typically saw Y psi. Y would diminish with usage. When it got to Y minus Z I changed the impeller. Y psi returned.

Driving the boat I was never in a position to see the telltale stream. Once upon a time I got an alarm. Looked down at the pressure gauge (and the temperature gauge). Temp was up, pressure was down. Inspected the motor. Grass on the lower unit water inlets. Removed the grass, started the motor. Pressure was up, temperature was coming down.

Comment

Originally posted by Idlewildman View Post
                So I want to ask.... do you all feel that the temp gauge is better than a water pressure gauge?

I am finding out after visiting my local marine that Yamaha is basically screwing me. I have a Yamaha gauge along with the tubing complete with compression ferrule and compression nuts. But they will not just sell the adapter that goes in the block unless I buy the tubing kit. Once I buy the tubing kit i will have to buy new ferrules at 8 dollars a piece. So when it's all said and done I need to come out of pocket an additional 60 bucks or so in addition to the 30 bucks I spent on a like new used gauge! I could get a new aftermarket kit for less.
                90 bucks for a boat related thingamajig. Think Yamaha has that in their business plan? 90 bucks??!!!
                Last edited by pstephens46; 06-10-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

That is exactly the reason I want to run both. Do you think if I put a T in the tell tale line between the water jacket the the tell tale outlet, would that give me an accurate enough reading?

Comment

yep most people do not look at the gauges until the alarm sounds, they are looking everywhere else to make sure they are not going to run over something..
                    but it would not cost you much to rig the tee up and see what you think

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      yep most people do not look at the gauges until the alarm sounds, they are looking everywhere else to make sure they are not going to run over something..
                      but it would not cost you much to rig the tee up and see what you think

Thanks for your help, I guess I may try that if I can figure out how to incorporate the flexible black hose with the Yamaha gauge so that I can install a T. I've been to auto parts and hardware stores and they have nothing that matches the threads on the Yamaha parts....

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

In my case I used a water pressure gauge to somewhat monitor the condition of the water pump impeller over time. At X RPM I typically saw Y psi. Y would diminish with usage. When it got to Y minus Z I changed the impeller. Y psi returned.

Driving the boat I was never in a position to see the telltale stream. Once upon a time I got an alarm. Looked down at the pressure gauge (and the temperature gauge). Temp was up, pressure was down. Inspected the motor. Grass on the lower unit water inlets. Removed the grass, started the motor. Pressure was up, temperature was coming down.
                        That's a very good answer..an added layer of protection is always a good thing.

I never seen a water pressure gage for an outboard before in my little part of the world where there is mostly smaller engines.
                        Is it a common thing to have with larger engines perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

That's a very good answer..an added layer of protection is always a good thing.

I never seen a water pressure gage for an outboard before in my little part of the world where there is mostly smaller engines.
                          Is it a common thing to have with larger engines perhaps?
                          No, not
                          really

Comment

Remember whether a temp guage in the tell tale stream and/ or pressure gauge in that stream doesn't tell you what you think or you want it to tell you. It may tell you the pump is pumping or not, but not the pump's health if there is a blockage affecting the engine cooling.

Comment

Water Pressure Gauge has many advantages over Temp Gauge. Most Temp Gauges sending units just touch the block and are not internal. Water pressure gauges give an accurate pressure reading at all RPM ranges. As the water pump wears out you notice variations of different pressures. If you happen to run in mud your piss hole becomes clogged but you’ll have water pressure. Pressure gauges are located on your instrument cluster so your not really taking your eyes off the water. I would not attach to tell tale stream. My vote water pressure gauge.
                              Last edited by Jfitz1949; 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X