1986 50hp 2 stroke trim relay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 50hp 2 stroke trim relay question

So I bought a boat that needs some work. The trim tilt relay was missing so I order a used on pic included. problem is I am not sure what wires are what, I know its 2 relays in 1 (1 up and 1 down). I am unsure of how to wire and cant find a diagram anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

well the blue and the green need to go to the switch(es)

the short black wires connect to ground

the red wires need to connect to "hot"
    (can they reach to the starter lug where the battery cable connects? seems unlikely)

and the two long leads are for the t/t motor -
    although where the connection is made, is beyond me....

Comment

Follow the wires from the trim/tilt pump motor to the terminal junction to determine where the relay power wires will connect.

I used orange for the colour of the white power feed.

Comment

Thanks. I got it all hooked up still not working. May be a bad relay. If I purchased a new relay for a newer model it would work correct?

Comment

in general terms, a relay is a relay,
          though of course there may be differences in the voltage / amperage ratings.

But regardless, they are actually two separate relays attached together -
          so the chances of both 'halves' being "bad" is unlikely.

have you tried simply connecting the motor leads to + and - to make sure it runs?

Comment

Yes the motor work fine goes up and down when hooking up the the battery. I've had to replace the remote control on the console as well so maybe a issue with that too. I'll just have to tinker around with it.

Comment

does it click but not run the T&T motor?

Comment

a relay is a "remote con*****ed switch" -
                it has an electro-magnet,
                and and some electrical contacts that the electromagnet moves to open or close

so there are two ways it can go bad:
                - the electromagnet doesn't move
                or
                - the electromagnet moves the contacts, but they are burnt up and don't make good connection

you can tell easily that the electromagnet is good - you hear/feel the relay "click"

with the black wires of the relays connected to ground (as they should be)
                apply battery + to the blue wire - you should here the relay click
                apply battery + to the green wire - you should hear the other relay click.

Comment

Thanks for the help I will try that.

​​​​​It doesn't click or do anything, I'm going to take the button in the con*****er off and clean it. This may be the issue. Thanks again

Comment

So I'm still having issues. Not sure if the issue is the 703 remote wiring. The 703 remote control has 3 wires for the switch and the ptt motor has 2 since it's newer. Would the wiring be different? I'm thinking I just need to disconnect the red wire from the con*****er @ the switch and connect it to the negative of the battery. Thank you
                    Last edited by shaunbnp; 06-11-2019, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Power the relay control wires (blue and green) at the relay. At the bullet connectors. Does the relay and the PTT pump motor work?

Comment

Or another way around is to disconnect the relay control wires at the bullet connectors and test the blue and green wires coming from the control box for battery power. Blue is powered when the up switch is pressed and green is powered when the down switch is pressed.

Comment

Would you like a tutorial as to how the system works?

Comment

Actually, I found some and I think I understand how it works now. thank you
                            Last edited by shaunbnp; 06-11-2019, 10:18 PM.

Comment

So I have everything connected. Check the voltage when pressing up or down coming out of the switch 12.10v, checked the voltage right before the replay 10.5v. after the relay I get a 0v reading. So I think the relay isn't switching over right? Any ideas on what the issue may be. I've done some trouble shooting based on searching charged battery and redid connections, what am I missing. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X