2005 F115 10 Pin Connector Corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F115 10 Pin Connector Corrosion

Recently found that my 10 pin connector under the console is corroded and is no longer making a good connection. With the key in the on position the alarm sounded and I found that if I move the 10 pin connector the alarm comes and goes with / without contact. My question is there a way to clean this connection without destroying it. If not are my only two options to replace the harness or is cutting the connectors off the harness and and butt splicing. Thank you for your help

Some quality contact cleaner may do the job if the pins are not too far gone.. spray the connectors.. plug them in and out and do again and again.
    Others may scorn me for saying this, but I often use WD40 in the same manner and it usually works for me.

Comment

Had the same issue. Cut out the plug and hard wired the wires.

Comment

Electrical contact cleaner, R&R the connector several times.

Once you have a good connection, some dielectric grease applied before the final plug in.. Prevents future corrosion..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks guys - I tried cleaning with electrical cleaner, Vinegar, wire brush but I think it was too far gone - wire cutters, heat shrink butt connectors, liquid electrical tape and I hope that I don't have to fool with it again but it does make me question the rest of the connections?

Comment

De-Ox-Id brand of contact cleaner....

Had she ever sunk?
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by Cigar Minnow View Post
              Thanks guys - I tried cleaning with electrical cleaner, Vinegar, wire brush but I think it was too far gone - wire cutters, heat shrink butt connectors, liquid electrical tape and I hope that I don't have to fool with it again but it does make me question the rest of the connections?
              One way to find out. Un-plug inspect, clean if necessary (I use a tooth brush with contact cleaner).

Then re-plug with dielectric grease. I do this with ANY CONNECTOR, battery install, etc I come into contact with. NEVER had an issue with that connector, bulb socket, etc again..

I'd also strongly recommend spraying down the engine (inside the cover) with a protectorant such as LPS 2 (I think that's what I have-recommended by the Yamaha dealer). Yamaha also makes a protectorant (never used their brand and I'm sure there's other great products). I spray until it's dripping wet, wipe off excess.

My engine looks brand new and it's 12 years old. You will NOT find a spot of corrosion anywhere.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X