2003 F115 Oil Leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 F115 Oil Leak?

Hello, new here. I bought a 2003 19ft Polar CC that cane with this 03 F115 that as been okay, according to the dash it has 340 but I found out later it wasn't plugged in. I’ve had two issues, I believe there is an oil leak and looks like it leaks after im coming back from a day on the water ( i usually come back going full throttle). I have included a dropbox link with pics and would really appreciate any tips. This is my first outboard and am still learning my way around it. The second thing is the last time i took it out, after going full throttle the going to a no way zone, when i am able to go fast again. The boat starts to putter and feel like its going to shut off the more throttle i give it. I changed the fuel water separator but it happened again. I decided to shut it off and literally turn it back on. As soon as i did that it worked just fine and was able to give it full throttle with no issue. Thank you so much!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvolpcdan...f9XQF9N8a?dl=0

Looks like blow by to me, check your oil level.

Comment

Your last picture appears like oil being blown out of the air box. That is indicative of piston ring blow by.

Running WOT for extended periods of time doesn't help. Like running your car WOT all the time.. Might want to back off the throttle a bit

When was the last time the oil was changed?

As for the other issue, has the VST filter / fuel system been serviced?

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hi, thank you both for the reply. I purchased the boat early April 2019 and the owner said he had done the oil change recently. I feel like there is too much oil based on the dip stick. I have not serviced the VST or anything besides the fuel/water separator. I don’t mean to be dumb and i tried googling it but the “blow by” what does that mean exactly and what can I do to fix it? Thank you guys so much I really appreciate it. Ive also uploaded pictures of the oul sfick and the air-box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qvydnl4m8...IuvPa39xa?dl=0

Comment

main thing I see is you cannot hold a dip stick upside down wile looking to see what the oil level is

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonyvelaz17 View Post
            Hi, thank you both for the reply. I purchased the boat early April 2019 and the owner said he had done the oil change recently. I feel like there is too much oil based on the dip stick. I have not serviced the VST or anything besides the fuel/water separator. I don’t mean to be dumb and i tried googling it but the “blow by” what does that mean exactly and what can I do to fix it? Thank you guys so much I really appreciate it. Ive also uploaded pictures of the oul sfick and the air-box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qvydnl4m8...IuvPa39xa?dl=0
            The pic of your dip stick does indeed show the engine is at least a half quart, maybe a quart OVER FILLED.

The oil looks very clean, the overfilling WILL discharge usually into the air box so it can be burnt off (emissions).

Drain / suck some of it out. Then report back.

"Blow by" is the compression, in the combustion chamber(above the piston) getting BLOWN BY the PISTON RINGS(worn or broke-with the oil level NORMAL).
            That pressure now pressurizes the crankcase and blows oil (or if over-filled, EXCESS OIL) out...

Your issue may very well be ONLY the overfilling. When folks post, us, on the other end of a computer screen, ASSUME the oil level is correct, (or other things are correct.)
            Scott

Comment

if those pics are the same ones I saw early this morning and posted what I did, my eyes must have been way out of wack.
              I swear the dip sticks earlier were being held upside down.

maybe the pics were upside down, but I should have noticed the pot plants being also upside down.
              maybe I just did not pay any attention to other stuff in the pics earlier.

Op , maybe the ones that filled it did not check level, and just put in what the book calls for.
              some people may not check oil level properly in these motors
              some need to be raise up some and back down to get all of the oil to drain back into the sump before measuring and draining.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                if those pics are the same ones I saw early this morning and posted what I did, my eyes must have been way out of wack.
                I swear the dip sticks earlier were being held upside down.

maybe the pics were upside down, but I should have noticed the pot plants being also upside down.
                maybe I just did not pay any attention to other stuff in the pics earlier.

Op , maybe the ones that filled it did not check level, and just put in what the book calls for.
                some need to be raise up some and back down to get all of the oil to drain back into the sump before measuring and draining.
                You don't happen to be in Australia at the moment are you (down and under)?
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  AFAIK Yamaha recommends the same procedure for all 4-stroke models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yv3JA62WPJM

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

You don't happen to be in Australia at the moment are you (down and under)?
                    I was trying to find the pot plants he mentioned. Thought someone was growing a little weed on the side.

Comment

Slight hi-jack.

The Yamaha oil change kit (filter, oil, gaskets, etc) comes with FIVE QUARTS of oil.

The owners manual states the engine takes 5.5 quarts.

I use the tilt, remove the drain bolt, hook up the screw in hose "kit" and then tilt back down fully and drain. (I'm getting every drop out).

I'll re-fill (as fairdeal posted above -tilt, then level back (with a level on the flat part of the unit).

I'll get another .75 quarts (5.75 quarts total) into the engine to get to the 3/4 mark on the cross hatch section of the dip stick...(where I keep it at)

*With just 5 quarts, it just hits the bottom of the cross hatch.. I know(tried it), sucking thru the dip stick only, my F150 will leave maybe 3/4 a cup of old oil in the crankcase.

Has anyone else experienced this?
                      Scott

Comment

My "guess" is they only give 5 quarts because most people won't take the time to get all the oil out. Then with 5 added it will probably end up half way up the stick .

Put six quarts in the kit and guaranteed people will overfill the engine and blame Yamaha somehow.

So better for Yamaha to only give five quarts in the kit so you can't overfill with the kit...

Comment

Everything has been and is now dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Comment

I guess.

Five quarts, even if sucked out, brings it the very bottom of the hash marks, just within range..

I know if I put in 6, it would be at the top of the hash marks, definitly not above it...

I like it at 3/4's the stick..

It's like gear oil (at least for mine). The unit takes 33 (plus oz). Of course they sell ONE bottle at 32 oz.
                            So you need another to top off. (that bottle lasts awhile for "top offs").
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

I was trying to find the pot plants he mentioned. Thought someone was growing a little weed on the side.
                              well the pics changed again and do not even show the dipstick pics anymore, with the plants growing in pots

maybe I should have called them potted plants instead of pot plants

Comment

Working...
                              X