loses power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loses power

I have a 2005 Yamaha VZ 225 TRLD, The motor will fire up, get up on plane but after about 5 minutes it starts to lose power and will then only run idle speed. If I sit awhile it will usually fire back up and do the same thing. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong ?

sounds like the VST is running out for fuel. sucking air or a restriction not letting enough fuel in to keep VST filled at higher RPM

Comment

Is your fuel tank venting ?...

Comment

how can I tell if the fuel tank is venting or not ?

Comment

open the fill cap and see it that helps your problem.
          or test the suction side of the lift fuel pump

Comment

15 year old lift pumps comes first to mind.

I might bring supplies aboard to drain / measure the volume of the VST fuel volume when it first happens. As soon as it starts to act up. Shut it down without idling long, and drain the VST catching and eyeballing the amount of fuel in there.
            You may also see if squeezing the prime bulb when it first happens makes the performance return quicker than your long idle interval. (That may refill the VST quicker than a partially failing lift pump or two.)

Another thought, on your engine, do not use (never) those hardware store style 'screw' type jubilee hose clamps on the fuel hoses. You must use Otiker style hose clamps as they apply even clamp pressure around the entire circumference of the fuel hoses. Likely not the cause of your symptom, just something that I felt the need to say, again.
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Any updates?
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X