Flywheel/crankshaft play 1999 50HP 4 Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel/crankshaft play 1999 50HP 4 Stroke

Should I be able to grab the flywheel and turn it slightly (3/16) back and fourth? The whole shaft moves. Is this play "normal" ?

If you are a mans man you should be able to grab the flywheel and rotate it 360 or more degrees in either direction.

Now if you are talking about the flywheel moving while the crank shaft does not, then no. That should not be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      If you are a mans man you should be able to grab the flywheel and rotate it 360 or more degrees in either direction.

Now if you are talking about the flywheel moving while the crank shaft does not, then no. That should not be happening.
      With the timing belt loose I can grab the fly wheel/crankshaft and wiggle it back and fourth. Worn bearings or bushings?

Comment

You should be able to rotate the flywheel/crank shaft clockwise or counterclock wise. It is made to rotate.

I don't mean to be dense but I am not getting it.

Comment

Maybe he expects the thing to be as stiff as a 7th grader in health class. These suckers do rotate you know.

Comment

I have slight crankshaft play without the pistons moving. I know you can turn the engine over by hand.. I'm talking about play.
            Last edited by ChuckB1954; 05-22-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Are you hearing any noise when rocking it back and forth? clunking?

Comment

if he is asking about bearing play, I would think he is not meaning rotational movement.
                maybe side to side from vertical

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB1954 View Post
                  I have slight crankshaft play without the pistons moving. I know you can turn the engine over by hand.. I'm talking about play.
                  Normal. There are clearances between all of the moving parts.

This is why when one is setting a piston at top dead center it is to be done in the direction of normal rotation.

With a piston at TDC the crank shaft can be several degrees behind or ahead of the piston.

Comment

Resist the urge to obsess. Go run the thing and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Resist the urge to obsess. Go run the thing and enjoy it.
                      I have to sink a little money into it.. I didn't want to be funding a lost cause.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                        Are you hearing any noise when rocking it back and forth? clunking?
                        No noise, it's just that I can rock it clockwise/counter clockwise slightly without the pistons moving... a few degrees. The flywheel is bolted solid to the crankshaft. I thought it might indicate excessive wrist pin or bottom end play.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB1954 View Post

With the timing belt loose I can grab the fly wheel/crankshaft and wiggle it back and fourth. Worn bearings or bushings?
                          Wait...what? You are moving flywheel with timing belt loose as in disengaged?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Wait...what? You are moving flywheel with timing belt loose as in disengaged?
                            No.. The timing belt just needs to be tightened with the tensioner.. there is enough play to rock the flywheel.. No.. I know what would happen if I jumped a cog.. I would have to pull the flywheel and re time the cam with the mark on the cog under the flywheel.

Comment

Working...
                            X