2007 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke

I just recently purchased a 17 ft 1992 Boston Whaler with a 2007 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke with 138 hours on it. I've never owned a Yamaha before. My question is, When putting the engine in gear(forward) its almost like its a "bang". It shifts into gear hard. Its not physically hard to put it in gear. But it seems like the motor is working hard to go into gear. I don't know if the idle is set too high(idles at 1100rpm), and that's what's causing the "banging" into gear. Can anyone offer me some insight?

yes it is idling too high

Comment

Closer to 700.

Keep shifting at 1100 and you WILL need a new LU.

Might be worth investing in a manual: https://www.yamahapubs.com/
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Today was my first day with the motor and that's how the idle was set. I'll handle it before I take it out again. I'm glad I came onto this site. Thanks for the info guys!!

Comment

Please post back after your run.. Have fun!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

did you allow the motor to warm up before putting it into gear?
            prime start motors tend to idle high at first, but then lower the RPM once motor is warmed up

Comment

Yes, I did allow it to warm up for a couple mins. I will definitely post the results when I get it adjusted. I'm gonna try to get it done tomorrow. Thanks alot

Comment

check the timing also.
                make sure it meets specs in service manual.
                if the idle timing is advanced it will idle high too.

matter of fact follow the link and sync procedures to make sure all is in spec and adjusted where it should be.
                new motor you you, needs to be all checked anyways

Comment

Maybe some yo-yo adjusted that small Phillips head idle screw on the throttle linkeage?....good place to start checking..

Comment

All is well with the motor. I thought I was letting it warm up enough. However, I definitely wasn't. because after allowing it to warm up, it goes in gear fine. It idled at 700 after a couple mins of starting the engine. Thank you very much guys!!

Comment

good to hear it was simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X