94 pro 60 choke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 pro 60 choke problem

Hey guys how's it going. I've got a 1994 Yamaha pro 60 and ever since I've had it I've had to manual choke it it starts up great when I use a manual choke but will not start at all without it it doesn't seem like the electric choke is engaging whatsoever any advice on where to go from here.

So with the cowling removed, you turn on the key, push the key in, and nothing happens? You do not see / hear the solenoid actuating to choke the cold engine?

Does the warm engine start without the choke?
    How long have you owned this engine?
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

well since Boscoe says it does not have a choke I am deleting this post I made.
      heck I cannot even find the way to delete it except erasing the words I typed.
      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-17-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

How are you manually choking the motor?

A 1994 P60 does not use a manual choke. It uses an automatic fuel enrichment system known as PrimeStart.

Are you turning the PrimeStart red lever to the ON position in order to get it started?

Comment

I have to wonder what position it is left in while running and trying to start it cold too

Comment

I'm using the prime start lever in inside the motor to start. My key does not push in like other key panels do.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I flip the lever up and once it's started I put it back to level or norm

Comment

well I would think that your carbs are plugging up, and not letting enough fuel thru .
                time to take them apart and see if you can clean all the passages up including the prime start systems
                Last edited by 99yam40; 05-17-2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I think you might be right. Any good videos on doing this

Comment

Originally posted by Ncpoteet1 View Post
                    I think you might be right. Any good videos on doing this
                    Head over to YouTube and check out Dangar Marine. He has a large series of videos on all manner of topics. At least one on Prime Start. Plenty on carb cleaning in general.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      well I would think that your carbs are plugging up, and not letting enough fuel thru .
                      time to take them apart and see if you can clean all the passages up including the prime start systems
                      Is it not more likely that the Prime Start isn't working, IE, either no electric(ground) going to it, or just failed? He's manually opening the plunger-it seems to NOT be working on it's own.

If the engine runs fine manually activating the Prime start, the carbs should be fine.

I'd be pulling the prime start unit and checking that and the wiring (for power) to it..

And plus 1, Danger also has some video's checking that unit.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I flip the lever up and once it's started I put it back to level or norm
                        I just noticed that you said flip the lever up and then back down.
                        it was my understanding that the normal position was full counter clockwise.
                        I may be wrong, but check to make sure you are not leaving it in the off position once the motor is started

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Head over to YouTube and check out Dangar Marine. He has a large series of videos on all manner of topics. At least one on Prime Start. Plenty on carb cleaning in general.
                          Have you seen the series where he buys a steel trawler and is in the process of reconditioning it? What a pain. What a lot of work. Poor fellow.

Comment

I'm using the prime start lever in inside the motor to start. My key does not push in like other key panels do.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Ah, as Townsend1300FJR suggested, and part of the reason I asked, I do believe that perhaps you are not connected electrically.
                            So you have to remove the cowling, flip turn actuate the primer, get it started, and then reinstall the cowling... yes, that is unacceptable. What a PITA that must be.

I suspect, if you think I am on the right line of thinking, that we should be able to help you either test/fix the system or guide you to install a more convenient remote button of sorts.

I was really hoping that you didn't realize that pushing the key in was how to remote prime/choke the engine. I had been boating for three or four years before I figured it out or someone showed me the "push key to choke". Well, It would be another 5 years until I was old enough to get a drivers license and I had a whole bunch more stuff to learn then...
                            Last edited by FabricGATOR; 05-18-2019, 12:12 PM.
                            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

if it prime start heater was just not connected electrically, then it would fire up fine cold, but would run too rich after warm up.
                              I still want to know if it is really in the normal position when not starting

Comment

Working...
                              X