More digital tach questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More digital tach questions

I recently installed a Multi Function Gauge Tachometer (6Y5-8350T-D0-00) on my 2005 F115TLR. All connections are complete that come from the gauge. When I tested it I was getting engine RPM but no signal from oil pressure or trim. While investigating I found the engine end of the harness was not connected and had a protective cover on it (see photo). Any ideas on how this is supposed to be connected to allow the oil pressure and trim signals to get to the gauge? Do I need an adapter of different sensor(s)? I have been unsuccessful in several hours of research.

Comment

Wire colours don't seem correct.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

By the way, an F115TLR is not a 2005 model year motor. If it were, it would be an F115TLRD. D denotes that it is a 2005 model year motor. Yamaha stopped using model years in 2005. I suspect that you have a 2006 production year motor. Possibly having been made in 2005.

Comment

Here are my date plates. I don't see a D.

Comment

Colors of wires going to engine in the original picture are orange, black, pink, and gray. I'm going to investigate that adapter. That may be what I need. More to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by pmccoy11 View Post
              Here are my date plates. I don't see a D.
              That is correct. No D. So it is a 2006 production year motor. Even though made in 2005. You need to know this in order to make sure the correct parts get ordered if and when you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by pmccoy11 View Post
                Colors of wires going to engine in the original picture are orange, black, pink, and gray. I'm going to investigate that adapter. That may be what I need. More to follow.
                Does this motor have a tiller handle?

Comment

See if you can find a connector with these wire colours.

The left side pink wire comes from the trim sender. The right side pink wire goes to a single white nylon connector that should be taped to another pink wire white nylon connector. Maybe held together with tape. Not connected to each other.

Comment

Success! Thanks Boscoe. After studying the diagram you posted I was able to figure it out. The key was recognizing the connector that is plugged at the engine end of the harness is not used and then installing the adapter. While connecting the adapter I found where the trim wire (white/red) had been cut and wired to my analog trim gauge. I patched it in to the new digital gauge and now I have all indications on my tach. Thanks again and I'm very glad I found this forum.

Also thanks for the instruction on the year model. I had suspected this was the case and now it is confirmed.
                    Last edited by pmccoy11; 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X