Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2002 F50TLRA Main jets not the same?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2002 F50TLRA Main jets not the same?

    Good afternoon. I am working on a 2002 F50TLRA 50HP 4 stroke outboard. Original owner - carbs have never been messed with. I'm in the process of cleaning all the carbs. I noticed that all 4 carbs have different main jets. #1 carb = 124, #2 carb = 126, #3 carb = 116, and #4 carb = 114. The factory parts diagram does list these 4 main jets - but it does not specify which carb gets which main jet. Is this correct? Just making sure - I'm used to all the main jets being the same. Thanks for the help, Wes

  • #2
    Originally posted by rejesterd
    hm. Based on this diagram..

    https://www.yamahaonlineparts.com/oe...02/CARBURETOR/

    ..from top-to-bottom, the order is 124, 126, 116, 114. I've worked on the carbs for a 2001 F50TR, and they all looked the same to me. But I cleaned one at a time, so I didn't mix/match any of the jets between carbs.. so I can't be sure if they're all exactly the same.
    Have you no sense of decency man?

    Comment


    • #3
      The parts list at BOAT.NET (the SPONSER HERE) shows the different jets available, period: https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...lra/carburetor

      How do the spark plugs look, pretty much the same?


      I wouldn't think the jets would be different in the same engine (especially water cooled). Perhaps assembled on a late Friday...



      As you noted, the main jet, part #17 is available in different sizes.

      Unless you have a plug burning much different than another, fouling, etc, I'd leave them where they were..
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 4 days ago.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wesleyjames View Post
        Good afternoon. I am working on a 2002 F50TLRA 50HP 4 stroke outboard. Original owner - carbs have never been messed with. I'm in the process of cleaning all the carbs. I noticed that all 4 carbs have different main jets. #1 carb = 124, #2 carb = 126, #3 carb = 116, and #4 carb = 114. The factory parts diagram does list these 4 main jets - but it does not specify which carb gets which main jet. Is this correct? Just making sure - I'm used to all the main jets being the same. Thanks for the help, Wes
        Here is what the factory parts catalog indicates. Straight from Yamaha. I added the circles and the arrows by the way.

        Comment


        • #5
          Curious, how do you know that order (4, 3, 1, 2) ?


          (and part #17, not 18 should be highlighted )
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 4 days ago.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

            Have you no sense of decency man?
            Milennial.... oops Millennial
            Last edited by pstephens46; 4 days ago.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              Curious, how do you know that order (4, 3, 1, 2) ?


              (and part #17, not 18 should be highlighted )
              Yes, I highlighted the wrong item number.

              The order is 4, 3, 1, 2 because that is the way that Yamaha listed them in their parts catalog. Does Yamaha have it correct? Don't know.

              I can only presume that during development they measured the air/fuel ratio and determined that the different carburetors required different main jets to get the air/fuel ratios the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                unedited parts catalog.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for all the responses. Spark plugs looked OK. Nothing stood out to me. I was just taken back by the different main jets on all each cylinder. The parts list I was looking at didn't list the cylinders next to the respective main jet. I was just ruling out that this engine wasn't assembled Friday before a holiday or something!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Did you notice that the float bowls all have a different part number and position as well? I hope so.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      unedited parts catalog.
                      Interesting!

                      It would certainly make things difficult for the layman doing all 4 at once...

                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

                        Here is what the factory parts catalog indicates. Straight from Yamaha. I added the circles and the arrows by the way.
                        Boscoe99 - can I ask you one more question? In another post you recommended bumping up the pilot jet from a 39 to a 42. You pointed out that the earlier carbs had the 42. Do you still recommend that? It looks like the early carbs were different from the later carbs. Being that the main jets are different sizes I'd don't want to bump up the pilot jet and mess with the main jet circuits.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Did you notice that the float bowls all have a different part number and position as well? I hope so.
                          I did not notice that BUT I placed each carb is it's own disassembly bag that's numbered so I wouldn't get anything mixed up. Thanks for that heads up.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X