Kudos to the F series 3.3 liter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to the F series 3.3 liter

My opinion is this may be one of the best motors ever made. Obviously much more powerful than my F150, but not as noisy either. At least in the 4-4500 rpm range. Spent a couple hours on a friends bay boat yesterday. Don’t see or read about many issues.

is there more that one 3.3 F motor out there?

Comment

Yes, F200TXR, F225TXR, F250TXR are all 3.3 liter models. Some have variable cam shaft timing and some don't however.

The F225 is one of the motors that made Yamaha what it is today. The first big block high HP four stroke motor. Despite the crap that one will hear about dreaded mid-section corrosion.

Hard to believe that it was introduced way back when, circa 2001. Was still being offered in 2018 as the F225XA variant.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 05-12-2019, 07:41 PM.

Comment

makes me wonder what motor he( a normal poster) is talking about

Comment

You know that folks here seldom will provide a complete model identity.

'My motor is gray, it is vibrating, what part do I need to replace to fix it?'

Comment

I know,
            I was bad about it also when I got here
            I thought everyone knew what motor I had and had asked about in the past.
            Rod mentioned it to me a couple of times, or it might have been on a different forum back then

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              makes me wonder what motor he( a normal poster) is talking about
              I am lumping all 3.3 F motors together. I don’t see where the exact model matters in this case. That “platform” is what I was referring to. The particular motor was an F250. The VCT add on seems very reliable also.

Can’t blame the block for a corrosion issue in the exhaust....

Comment

A motor is more than just the power head/ block.
                the VCT does make a big difference
                and yes an extra 100hp can make a big difference

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

I am lumping all 3.3 F motors together. I don’t see where the exact model matters in this case. That “platform” is what I was referring to. The particular motor was an F250. The VCT add on seems very reliable also.

Can’t blame the block for a corrosion issue in the exhaust....
                  Well, if the corrosion didn't also creep into the blocks exhaust passage that'd be reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Masonmobilemarine View Post

Well, if the corrosion didn't also creep into the blocks exhaust passage that'd be reasonable.
                    So you would not recommend the 3.3 series F motor?

Comment

I would love to understand why sometimes it does, usually it doesn't, affect the base of the block.

and to me, it does not seem a process of 'spreading", either

Comment

An aluminum motor is corroded after being used in salt water. Imagine that. Who'd a thunk it.

Don't look up. Sky may be falling.

Comment

I just recently noticed,
                          in the USCG records of the throttle mechanism of the early 3.3 F200/225
                          a number provided by Yamaha for "units affected"

which I interpret as,
                          the entire US distribution of 2002 through 2005 model F200/F225 engines

Comment

Good point fairwind.

Of the 34,602 let's say 10% fail. I doubt it is that many.

Of the 10% (3,460), 10% of those (346) get on the innerweb and complain over and over again about how life is so unfair. People that have never owned a Yamaha of any type then get on the band wagon and repeat over and over again how they have heard about the dreaded Yamaha F225 corrosion issue.

Makes the problem appear to be much much worse than it actually is.

Comment

I have a pair of 2004 F225 motors and have done the mid section corrosion fix, but what I find unacceptable from Yamaha on these is the block corrosion caused by dissimilar metals, specifically the copper thermostat in near contact with the aluminum block. My port motor had this corrosion to the point where it went through the block and squirted salt water into the air intake. This meant a new $9K powerhead. Poor design. In 2005 or 6 they added an anode to the tstat housing to help mitigate this. I retrofitted my stbd motor with these housings and coated the outside of the block with 5200 to give me a chance to catch it if it corrodes through. I check all tstats every year and the block. The stbd block had started to corrode but the anode seems to have slowed it down. I also spray zinc chromate onto the area of corrosion - both approaches have helped.
                              Maybe not such a great motor, after all?

Comment

Working...
                              X