Yamaha 2001, CDI and warning light / sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay ... So I did the tests on the sea.

No buzzer when "dead man's strap" was disconnected and I twist the key, and no light in the oil and temperature lights at startup.

Still, when I took a wire from the oil pressure sensor to the metal / minus / earth, oil light and buzzer alerted me when I got some speed.

When I took the wires from the cdi box to the temperature sensor, connected them together, temperatur light and buzzer again alerted me when I got some speed.

I didn't notice, or forgot to hear / look for, if the speed/rpm went down too. Maybe that feature comes a little later / after some more time? .. Anyway, I have the buzzer sound and light that alert me now, so then I'm happy and reassured.

So.... I obviously have a little weird and unusual cdi box .. And it may look like it's the root of everything ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ole marius Petterson View Post
      Anyway, I have the buzzer sound and light that alert me now, so then I'm happy and reassured.
      Good to hear.

Comment

Nice. At least the buzzer works for the important stuff. Something is still faulty if it doesn't buzz with the safety lanyard removed when starting, but that seems to be more of a "hey dummy, you're gonna burn out your starter motor if you keep trying to crank this thing with the lanyard removed" warning, as opposed to a "you better shut down your engine asap before it breaks" warning.

another gold star for rodbolt
        2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

You said "I got some speed" what does mean exactly?
          To set off the rpm reduction function you need to do the test with the engine RPM over 2000.
          You could do this with the boat tied to the dock very securely in gear. I don't recommend reving the engine in neutral.

You WILL know when it goes into this mode..the engine will be missfiring and shaking badly.

Glad that you almost got this problem whipped. If it were me I would want to know that it all works as it should.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            You said "I got some speed" what does mean exactly?
            To set off the rpm reduction function you need to do the test with the engine RPM over 2000.
            You could do this with the boat tied to the dock very securely in gear. I don't recommend reving the engine in neutral.

You WILL know when it goes into this mode..the engine will be missfiring and shaking badly.

Glad that you almost got this problem whipped. If it were me I would want to know that it all works as it should.

I tried it out on the sea in gear, and didn't notice exactly what rpm was when light and sound started, but it must have been around 2000 rpm because I hadn't given much gas before it started.

I was perhaps too quick to let go of the gas, ecstatic that I was notified at all, so I didn't notice it. I'll try just that next time I'm going to the harbor. But i am so happy I now have light and sound warning at least 😃
            Last edited by Ole marius Petterson; 05-14-2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Today I shorted the wires over the temperature sensor, put the motor in neutral, used the gas handle only, and put the rpm to 2500. After about 25 seconds the light and sound were activated, then another 5-10 seconds after, the rpm fell by itself to 2000 rpm and the engine got a different sound. So, fortunately, it is also okay 😊

Comment

Good to hear,

took some time, but at least you now know what to expect if you have a problem

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  Good to hear,

took some time, but at least you now know what to expect if you have a problem

Yes, it is very reassuring!

Thank you very much everyone, for ideas and input.
                  I'm very grateful !!! 😊

Comment

Wow, read through this whole thread. So it seems everything was as it should be to begin with?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckB1954 View Post
                      Wow, read through this whole thread. So it seems everything was as it should be to begin with?

Yes almost, but we didn't know that. It should have alerted with sound and light also in other situations than just overheating and at low oil pressure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole marius Petterson View Post

Yes almost, but we didn't know that. It should have alerted with sound and light also in other situations than just overheating and at low oil pressure.
                        My Yamaha 50 4 stroke is a 1999 and I don't get any alarms when I try and start it with the safety switch on the controls disengaged.

Comment

• I am impressed by the OP not at all worried about what he was referred to as: Marius and Mrs Peterson. Could he really be Ole?

Comment

• No problem. I understood who it was referring to

Comment

Working...
                            X