Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-------------------------

Comment

Yeah, I asked around (both on another forum and my friend who is a tech up at one of the marinas near Winnipesaukee), and they said it is the CDI that flips the lights on and off at key-on. Very strange that the CDI only seems to fail in this way, because it runs fine otherwise.
      2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post
        Yeah, I asked around (both on another forum and my friend who is a tech up at one of the marinas near Winnipesaukee), and they said it is the CDI that flips the lights on and off at key-on. Very strange that the CDI only seems to fail in this way, because it runs fine otherwise.
        It is well known that it is the CDI or ECU/ECM that applies the ground to illuminate the light or icon on a Yamaha tachometer.

Did he say that all Yamaha models will illuminate the tachometer lights at either key on or at engine start up? From say a 25 HP two stroke to the XF425 models?

Just like not all Yams will activate the warning horn if the motor is cranked with the kill switch removed, I don't know what all Yam models will do with respect to the lights or icons when the key is turned on.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Mrs. Ole Marius Petterson

I have your engine service manual (PDF) if you would like to have it, send me a private message (PM) and I will email it to you.

Mr Boscoe can you confirm the manual # is 62Y-28197-3A-11? That is the number printed on the cover, there is no "LIT" # I could see.

Manual was printed in the Netherlands, if that makes any difference.

Comment

Gonna need the OP to give me the complete engine ID.

Comment

Post #35 has a picture of the data plate.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                Mrs. Ole Marius Petterson

I have your engine service manual (PDF) if you would like to have it, send me a private message (PM) and I will email it to you.

Mr Boscoe can you confirm the manual # is 62Y-28197-3A-11? That is the number printed on the cover, there is no "LIT" # I could see.

Manual was printed in the Netherlands, if that makes any difference.

Mr. panaconic, Thank you very much😊, but it's actually exactly the manual I already have in PDF ☺

Comment

Originally posted by Ole marius Petterson View Post

Mr. panaconic, Thank you very much😊, but it's actually exactly the manual I already have in PDF ☺
                  No problem...good luck with your engine.

Comment

No problem...good luck with your engine.

Yea.. .. Looks like I need it..

Comment

Post #35 has a picture of the data plate.
                      So it does. My records indicate the motor to be a 2002 model year motor.

If the OP;

1. Has determined that the wires to the lights illuminate the lights when those wires are grounded at the CDI

2. Has determined that the pink wire from the CDI causes the buzzer to sound when the pink wire is grounded at the CDI

3. Has determined that the thermoswitch lead and oil pressure switch lead to the CDI are functioning correctly

3. Shorts the oil pressure switch lead to ground and shorts the thermoswitch lead to ground, runs the motor for several minutes at idle, and does not hear the buzzer sound or see the warning lamps illuminate

then I would have to suspect that the CDI is defective.

Would you agree or disagree?

Comment

I would disagree.
                        my bet is the OP has no clue how the system works.
                        some of the older stuff the oil alarm would never work until the engine speed exceeded 2000 RPM at least once in that key cycle.
                        but it is easy.
                        short the oil switch lead to ground,fire it up and run the rpm above 2000.
                        then short the pink thermoswitch lead and let it run at least 75 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          I would disagree.
                          some of the older stuff the oil alarm would never work until the engine speed exceeded 2000 RPM at least once in that key cycle.
                          but it is easy.
                          Yep.. but what if the buzzer doesn't sound when you pull the safety lanyard and try to start it? That's another issue he found.
                          2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

I would disagree.
                            but it is easy.
                            Can't hurt. Good idea. One will have a pretty darn good idea at that point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by rejesterd View Post

Yep.. but what if the buzzer doesn't sound when you pull the safety lanyard and try to start it? That's another issue he found.
                              It is a pretty well understood by those somewhat knowledgeable of Yams that not all Yams will sound the alarm when the motor is cranked with the kill switch pulled. Does not necessarily mean a thing.

And who cares. The buzzer has been confirmed to work.

The issue is seeing if the buzzer will be activated by the CDI when the thermoswitch is activated and and when the oil pressure switch is activated. And the lights.

Comment

I would disagree.
                                but it is easy.
                                Don't disagree. Why don't we try and educate the OP?

Comment

Working...
                                X