Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you add a h2o separator on a 50hp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you add a h2o separator on a 50hp?

I'm going through everything on this 2006 boat I bought and I want everything in tip top shape for long trips. I thought this thing already had a water separator and I ended up not being able to find it haha.

would y'all recommend I install one? If so, what size?

I have the the Yamaha mini-10 filter for my 2011 F50. The box for it says "for engines 115hp and under". It was already installed when I bought the boat, so I don't know the part number for the bracket that holds to the hull.

It's one of those things that annoys me because it costs me $12 a year and I've never seen anything but fresh-looking fuel come out of it when I change it every season (no solids, no water in drained fuel). But if you ever get water in your tank, it can save your engine from serious damage.
    2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

I see all this worry.
      yet I see NO maint.
      the cooling system is what is going to take you out.
      take it out first.
      do the cooling system maint.
      and yes a water separator is always nice.

Comment

A water separator matters not what size engine you are powered by, rather the conditions of your fuel storage. IMO every engine can benefit from a properly installed and maintained water separator / filter if it is practical to mount one.
        Does the engine not come with a filter in a bowl under the cowling?
        What you are asking is could you benefit from an additional filter upstream/ Yes, it will pre filter for the on engine filter.
        If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

portable tanks can be cleaned out easy, built in tank cannot.
          if I had a built in I would have a good filter /separator on the transom,
          6 gal portable tanks probably not

also depends on how the boat and tank is stored

Comment

Yes, on any size

Comment

Yes and as pictured below, I have a see thru "bowl" on the bottom of the filter. On that bowl is a drain valve.

Should water collect there, you can actually see it, then drain it easily just by loosening the drain screw-(can't get any easier than that).

Now it is somewhat taller having the bowl as well, so keep that in mind..

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Yes and as pictured below, I have a see thru "bowl" on the bottom of the filter. On that bowl is a drain valve.

Should water collect there, you can actually see it, then drain it easily just by loosening the drain screw-(can't get any easier than that).

Now it is somewhat taller having the bowl as well, so keep that in mind..

My twin filters like that, and I know that there is also the opportunity to add a water sensor on that clear bowl, that sensor attaches and alarms or displays on my Yamaha Fuel flow gauge when detected.

Hey Robert, I rode my FJR1300 to Cape Coral yesterday to purchase a parasail. I was thinking of you, I think you said you were nearby that area. It can get lonely in that helmet on those long rides... Heck, it has been so long, not even sure I remember your name is (Robert) TownsendFJR1300 Cheers!
                If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Hey Robert!

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                    Hey Robert, I rode my FJR1300 to Cape Coral yesterday to purchase a parasail. I was thinking of you, I think you said you were nearby that area. It can get lonely in that helmet on those long rides... Heck, it has been so long, not even sure I remember your name is (Robert) TownsendFJR1300 Cheers!
                    Not Robert but close... It's in my signature, Scott

Shoulda stopped in!!

BTW, I've been designing and making Helmet lock brackets for ALL year FJR's since 2004 (the year I had).

If you follow any FJR forums, or do a simple search, their all over the internet (as I'm the only one making them specifically for the FJR((and other bikes)).

IE:

One of 6 options.

Ok, back to your scheduled thread!!
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-24-2019, 07:10 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      hey robert!
                      what!!!!!!!
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X