Oil inj. block on 2006 50hp tips/help greatly appreciated, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil inj. block on 2006 50hp tips/help greatly appreciated, please

Hello, I've been searching the internet for a few days now and I've come across some more concerns to the process then just remove and make the block plate.

to start it off, I just bought a boat with an 06 50hp 2 stroke and since it's older I'm replacing all fuel lines, cleaning the tank, and other misc. things to ensure reliability. I've never trusted oil injection and I'm a premix guy from my motocross days so it's no issue for me.

I am at the point where I want to remove the oil injection OR replace everything on(all old hoses, clean the reserviors, ect) it that could possibly cause it to fail. From my understanding, it seems it would be easier to remove and fab a plate/gasket than to go through and update the old hoses and hardware??

Onto the heart of it... all I need to do is?

1. remove the pump assembly
    2. Simply unplug wires?
    3. remove hoses
    4. plug up the holes where the hoses attached with vacuum caps
    5. put on a fabricated plate with a gasket

are there any more steps?

read a comment on a forum that said the shaft coming up to the pump will wobble and cause problems? I don't know what it looks like inside there yet so I don't know what this guy was talking about.

please leave any comments or tips that would be helpful in making this process smoother and thorough.

thankyou, in advance

leave it be.
    that motor has a dead nuts reliable injection system.
    way more reliable than you.
    oil injection got a bad rap in the 80's mostly cause techs could not Id oil related failures.
    I have done this over 30 yrs and have only seen a handful of injection related failures.
    I have seen more premix folk blow their motors than injection system failures.

Comment

keep the oil tank clean and free of water.
      follow the testing in service manual if you want to measure the oil output, or just keep track of the oil you put into the tank.
      there is a water trap that can collect condensate in the tank that should be drained from time to time

Comment

Only a fool would remove a Yamaha oil injection system.

You are not a fool. Perhaps only misguided by some innerweb rubbish.

Don't do it.

Comment

Thank You for the input. Yeah, majority of my oil injection experience is from the late 90's where everyone religiously blocked it on atvs and such.

I was looking and didn't notice a water trap. I have no clue what it would look like. DOES THIS INJ. SYSTEM HAVE A OIL FILTER that I couldn't see?

I've been searching the boat over for a remote oil reservoir but can't find one. I guess The only reservoir is the one on the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by G3tunnel06 View Post

I was looking and didn't notice a water trap. I have no clue what it would look like. DOES THIS INJ. SYSTEM HAVE A OIL FILTER that I couldn't see?

I've been searching the boat over for a remote oil reservoir but can't find one. I guess The only reservoir is the one on the engine.
            Per this 50HP two stroke model, the under cowl oil tank is the only OIL tank you have as I see it:

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...-0409/oil-pump

Part #37 is an oil strainer..

If you could post the FULL model #, there might be a different set up as there's MANY 50's listed..
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-25-2019, 07:22 AM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Townsend. It's the 06 50 TLR.

I noticed that when looking over the parts the the other day but from what I can tell the oil doesnt go through it before exiting the 3 oil lines at the bottom of the reservoir going to the carbs. So I wasn't sure what the world it was for
              Last edited by G3tunnel06; 04-27-2019, 10:34 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

oil has to flow thru the strainer to go out the tank thru line 38 to the oil pump.

#22 is probably the drain from the bottom of the tank. you just remove from the top and lower the hose to drain the sump and then put it back

Comment

Working...
                X