2014 f250xa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 f250xa

Cranking but won’t start. Batteries at 12.4 drops to 10.2 when held on start for more than a couple sec. kill switch installed and operational. Feud samples taken at water separator and in-line filter no water or debris changed anyway, no fouled spark plugs but relaced since they were out. Have I missed anything before I tear into it?

Don’t tear into it. Gotta have fuel, air and spark. Starting with battery. With an electrical meter the battery shows 12.4? Or with the Yamaha guage? Good battery with a meter should be about 12.7.

How long has it been sitting? Ethanol fuel?

Comment

The initial voltage seems a little low, but 10 volts while cranking is normal imo. And if it's cranking, then I don't think it would be the neutral safety switch.

Do a proper spark test. Replacing the plugs doesn't rule out ignition. If you confirm good spark, then move onto the fuel system.

Turn the key to ON, then measure the fuel pressure within a few seconds to make sure it's within spec.
      2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

have batteries load tested

Comment

Using a spray bottle with fuel in it, spritz a little in the intake and see if it tries to fire up.

If it does try to start (fire), you can start looking at the fuel system.

Did you try draining the VST and see if there's fuel (or crap) in there?

Has the engine sat for any length of time, new to you, recent work done to it, etc?
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            have batteries load tested
            No I have the built in volt meter up front when cranking I can see how low it drops, also connected portable jump box to each battery at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              Using a spray bottle with fuel in it, spritz a little in the intake and see if it tries to fire up.

If it does try to start (fire), you can start looking at the fuel system.

Did you try draining the VST and see if there's fuel (or crap) in there?

Has the engine sat for any length of time, new to you, recent work done to it, etc?
              It sat for about 3 months winter and spring in Florida. Wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything before cracking open the vst I was ale to access the little screw at the vst drain but did not see the relief valve
              Last edited by StanleyJ; 04-24-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyJ View Post

It sat for about 3 months winter and spring in Florida. Wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything before cracking open the vst I was ale to access the little screw at the vst drain but did not see the relief valve
                I'd crack the screw loose and squeeze the primer bulb, you need to see if your VST is even getting fuel.. You shouldn't have to touch any relief valve to drain the VST.
                Scott

Comment

The relief valve is usually covered with a little black rubber cap.. it sits near the top of the VST. But I think Townsends is right.. no need to touch it and risk breaking the needle when you can just pump it out with the bulb.
                  2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

Thanks, I will try this in the next day or so

Comment

I drain mine probably every 3rd time out. I've never touched a relief valve (don't even know where it is)..

Catching any crap in a clean container can be enlightening..
                      Scott

Comment

I drain mine probably every 3rd time out. I've never touched a relief valve (don't even know where it is)..

Catching any crap in a clean container can be enlightening..
                        You drain the vst? If so by loosening the screw and squeezing the bulb?

Comment

You drain the vst? If so by loosening the screw and squeezing the bulb?
                          Yep! You don't even have to squeeze the bulb un-less flushing, (I might squeeze once or twice).

Any crap that makes it to the bottom of the VST comes out... And I have flushed very, very small pieces of crap out of there..

BTW, under warranty, (low idle, stalling) the VST was checked (about 10 years ago).
                          I've NEVER had mine open since, (original VST filter too). Original injectors, etc.

I was out last Sunday, motor ran great!

Scott

Comment

Will keep you updatedthanks

Comment

Yep! You don't even have to squeeze the bulb un-less flushing, (I might squeeze once or twice).

Any crap that makes it to the bottom of the VST comes out... And I have flushed very, very small pieces of crap out of there..

BTW, under warranty, (low idle, stalling) the VST was checked (about 10 years ago).
                              I've NEVER had mine open since, (original VST filter too). Original injectors, etc.

I was out last Sunday, motor ran great!

Can I do this with no power applied or with batteries on and key in on position? I ordered the Yamaha service manual but won’t receive it for a week or so

Comment

Working...
                              X