Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with y-cop

Hello,

We have a Jeanneau NC795 with a new Yamaha F150 outboard. The Yamaha device bus has 3 ports available, one for each of the two helm round gauges and one for the y-cop immobilizer. I bought the interface that lets me connect this bus to my Lowrance GPS plotter and it works great. Now I can see a bunch on engine parameters on the plotter. The problem is I need to remove one of the existing devices and the y-cop is the one thing I don’t need (it’s just another fob to lose plus we keep the boat on a lift at home). How can I get rid of the y-cop system or disable it so I can unplug the receiver?

Thanks!

According to a page on Yamahaoutboards.com:

Should a thief get hold of your boat or motors with the Y-COP system on LOCK, and brings it to a Yamaha Certified Mechanic and says, “Hey, this won’t start,” the mechanic will run the numbers and say, “That’s because Y-COP disabled them. Here, put these bracelets on.” Getting the motor back up to full speed means a visit to Yamaha dealer, who will nearly always need to employ the services of a Yamaha District Service Manager.

based on that, I'm assuming the module was 'mated' to the engine ECM on install
    and has to be there, to continuously communicate with it.
    So appears you either need a dealer's assistance, or replace the ECM.

I do see another option - leave the Y-cop in place,
    and buy a cable splitter so you can connect both your gauges to only one "DEVICE" port
    freeing up the one you need

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/6Y8-82521-80-00

Comment

Awesome! The cable splitter is perfect since I don’t have a lot of room to work with. Thank you sir!
      (I figured I’d have to see the dealer to disable y-cop, even though it’s my engine and I have proof.)

Comment

Actually it's as simple as paralleling the two gauge connectors to create a Y cable which frees up a device port. Why Yamaha is so secretive about their wiring I don't get.
        You don't really need to buy anything.

Comment

You're not wrong.
          And IMO that particular part is absurdly amateurish

But I don't think there's "secrecy" behind it,
          rather most people want simple to understand, 'plug and play' solutions.

Comment

Working...
          X