1988 70 hp shift cable clamp help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 70 hp shift cable clamp help

Is there anyone out there who has a 70etlg 1988 70 motor or perhaps any 70 hp motor.

I am new to this motor. I purchased it used and the prior owner removed the shift cables and controls and took some parts with him I guess. I am trying to find out what parts I need to get my shift/throttle cable controls hooked up. I have the ends for the cables and they match up fine. I have the control hooked up seemingly fine but the motor side is what the issue I am talking about.

what I need to know is what I need to buy as far as the clamps that hold the cables in place to shift and throttle up.

It seems that I have the clamp for the one cable it fits in the bottom cowling at the edge/corner but the other is not lining up so I think it requires another clamp that is attached more inside the bottom cowling(I see a 10mm screw hole.

I have looked at every diagram that I can find online but they are not very helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you check the parts site up above (in red)? You can go to that link and pick a different area if what you need isn't below.

1988 70ETLG Yamaha Outboard CONTROL ENGINE Diagram and Parts

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

part number 42 in the above diagram anchors both cables.

Comment

First, thanks for the suggestions thus far. I appreciate it. I ordered part #42 prior to my posting and there is room for both cables in it. However, slots for the 2 cables that go into the clamp(part #42) are off set when attached and If I pull it to align it, the throttle moves and engages.

Maybe I did something wrong when installing the cable? I hooked up my new cables on the control side first(ran them through the boat) and then at the motor and noticed this alignment issue. Any tips or suggestion would be appreciated.

I hope this makes sense.

Comment

Your initial install sounds fine..

Will that clip, spin around 180 degrees and put the offset so everything is lined up?

The box should be in neutral when you adjust the cables at the engine end. Of course, the shifter at the engine end in neutral, the throttle closed.

Can you post a fairly close up picture where 42 and the cables should go thru if the above doesn't pan out?

There shouldn't be any special about, perhaps another slot offset for the retainer?

You do have the throttle cable going to the correct linkages?

Please look close a the parts fisch next to your engine. **Being you just got it used, you don't know what the previous owner did to the engine, (reversed something, removed something, broke something off) may be the issue.
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM.
          Scott

Comment

where are you?

I have the exact engine here in S Jersey. If you are nearby you are welcome to take a look.

Comment

TownsendsFJR1300 - Thanks I will do what you suggest. I have to unfortunately park my boat at my brother's house, so I will check it later.

dngharvey - I live in the Tampa, Florida area. Would you do me a huge favor and try to get a picture of the clamps and routing of your shift cables as they go into the cowling? If not, no biggie.

Comment

hope these help

Hope these come through?
                Attached Files

Comment

If the remote control is" Push to Open " and the engine throttle is pull to open and you connect the cables in the remote control first they won't line up.

Comment

problem resolved.

First, I want to thank everyone for their input. I solved the problem. The problem was actually the fact that the control I have, used a different type of armature for the shift throttle which accounted for the cable not lining up properly. I had another control laying around with the correct (Pull throttle part number703-48261-11-00 )configuration and after swapping it out, it worked like a charm.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about:
                    http://kaplan1.com/yamaha/comparison.jpg

Comment

Glad you found it cause I don't think anyone else would have!!

Congrates and enjoy! Thanks for the update too...
                      Scott

Comment

Strange how it started out as a clamp issue but really was a push-to-open versus a pull-to-open control box issue.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Strange how it started out as a clamp issue but really was a push-to-open versus a pull-to-open control box issue.
                          And all those parts in each unit appears to be the same, just the one "plate" flipped over and securred in a different hole..
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            And all those parts in each unit appears to be the same, just the one "plate" flipped over and securred in a different hole..
                            Yes. Some have been known to modify the mechanism to convert it from one configuration to another without buying a new mechanism. A rivet or so is all that it takes.

Comment

simple eyeballing and a bit of observation? this post would not exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X