No announcement yet.

Single Spark plug on V-6 Yamaha fouling-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlitos, change both of the pumps (or reseal them both), if one failed due to deterioration of the diaphragm, the other pump is likely soon to follow. I change them every five to seven years, just because it is cheap insurance.
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Good News and what a relief !

The new pump has fixed the problem.

I went fishing today and inspected the spark plugs right after returning home and found that neither one of two suspects had any signs of fouling or carbon residue on them - not at all.

For good measure I then went ahead and checked the other four and they were all OK.

Thanks for the Help. I truly appreciate y'all generously sharing your accumulated knowledge and helping me resolve the problem.

Comment

Cool, good news indeed.

Please let us know as the other pumps fail in turn.
        It will be a good way to track how they wear out within a similar time frame or if they all have random life expediencies.
        I was under the impression that the diaphragms failed after several years and that the pro recommendations are to R&R them every three or four years.
        Does your boat have hobbs meter? Post the hours here as record / log book entry.

Comment

Mr. FabricGator

The motor is a 2003 model and I am its original owner.

I went back in my repair & maintenance log book and found that I had i previously replaced both of the original pump on 4/23/15 - when the motor had 266 hours on it (going by its original Yamaha Multifunction Tach).

The hour meter currently reads exactly 333 hours which indicates that this pump operated for 67 hours before failure.

I use non-ethanol gasoline and add 3 ounces of Yamaha Stabilizer for every 10 gallons of fuel , - and top off the fuel tank the day after each trip to prevent condensation, so that leads me to belief that the problem is not fuel related.

I guess that I am going to go ahead and replace the other pump as well as a preventative measure, and incorporate testing them as part of my biannual PM Service.

Thanks

Comment

any lean sneeze can hurt the pump diaphragms, even new ones

Comment

Thanks, that is certainly good to know and I will surly keep that in mind and if i happen to notice that happening I will promptly test the pumps once I get back home .

Comment

You guys gotta run those motors more often.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  You guys gotta run those motors more often.
                  +1

Me too!
                  I keep telling the wife that, she thinks I am just handing her a line...
                  She just does not understand.

Comment

Working...
                  X