Multifunction Speedometer Power Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multifunction Speedometer Power Drain

I have a multi-function speedometer with my 200xb. I have found my batteries are slowly draining down after my boat sits for a while. I traced the current drain to about a 9 milli-Amp drain going to the multi-function speedometer through the RED wire. Can someone tell me if this is normal? Also what is the purpose of the red wire - which goes to battery (always on) and the yellow wire, which is the key switch (I think)? Why does Yamaha use both? My goal is to stop the current drain when I remove the ignition key so I don't have to disconnect the batteries.

You can do that , but your gauges will loose the info it is trying to keep up with.

Kind of like having your truck or auto loose all you have programed into the radio or other things.

most people put battery maintainers on them to keep the bats up as needed

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.
      The only information that gauge seems to retain (with battery) is time. Am I missing something? Are there engine parameters - i.e. behaviors that are stored there? If not, can I tie the red wire (from the gauge) to the yellow wire so the gauge full shuts off/on with the key?

Comment

I think many people have a battery disconnect switch between the outboard and the battery,
        and simply turn that off when not using the boat.

wonder how many Yamaha owners actually avail themselves
        of the "time" display on the multifunction speedometer

I never did

Comment

Something else seems to be amiss. How long between the usage of your boat and motor? A 9 milliamp load should not drain a battery over months at least I would hazard to guess.

Comment

You are correct other details are at play. If you run the numbers on a 50 amp-hour battery draining 10 milli-amps it results in about 8 months. I have not used my boat since August - which is seven months. In October Hurricane Michael pushed my 5000 lb boat and trailer around then off my driveway into the yard. So who knows what could have happened there. Additionally the battery is older, so the capacity is reduced. I know this by measuring the specific gravity of the cells. So I guess I need to replace the battery or switch-off the battery when not in use. This engine is relatively new to me - just got it last year - and the current drain surprised me. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Originally posted by tbrian101 View Post
              You are correct other details are at play. If you run the numbers on a 50 amp-hour battery draining 10 milli-amps it results in about 8 months. I have not used my boat since August - which is seven months. In October Hurricane Michael pushed my 5000 lb boat and trailer around then off my driveway into the yard. So who knows what could have happened there. Additionally the battery is older, so the capacity is reduced. I know this by measuring the specific gravity of the cells. So I guess I need to replace the battery or switch-off the battery when not in use. This engine is relatively new to me - just got it last year - and the current drain surprised me. Thanks for all your input.
              you do understand that the SG tells you the state of each cell.
              one not getting the same reading as the others means going bad.
              Measuring SG should be done on a fully charged battery.
              as was said you can hook to the yellow key on wire if you could care less if any info being retained does not get retained.
              If it is just a clock that you pay no attention to ,who would care
              Last edited by 99yam40; 03-24-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I have a multi-function speedometer with my 200xb. I have found my batteries are slowly draining down after my boat sits for a while. I traced the current drain to about a 9 milli-Amp drain going to the multi-function speedometer through the RED wire. Can someone tell me if this is normal? Also what is the purpose of the red wire - which goes to battery (always on) and the yellow wire, which is the key switch (I think)? Why does Yamaha use both? My goal is to stop the current drain when I remove the ignition key so I don't have to disconnect the batteries.
                Are you saying speedometer is wired directly to battery? Need a battery switch so you can cut power to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Are you saying speedometer is wired directly to battery? Need a battery switch so you can cut power to everything.
                  I think he's referring to the entire Yamaha gauge(speedometer as shown above)..

I don't have a battery cut off switch...

Battery is wired direct (one less thing to fail) to the engine using the stock Yamaha battery cables.

Now, the boat is on a lift with a battery charger plugged in (connected to the battery) which ONLY turns on when I power up the dock / dock light.
                  I can un-plug the charger (which is inside the lift control box) when going out, etc..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Those two things are the key. The 9ma draw is virtually nothing and is not the issue. Charge the battery up properly and get it load tested, or replace. Based on what you have written, that should completely solve your issue.

While crazy, for sure, the rig being pushed around by the hurricane wouldn't have caused an issue.
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
                    X