06 F250 TXR intermittent Check Engine message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 F250 TXR intermittent Check Engine message

So I have a 06 F250TXR with 230 hours on motor. This boat sat in storage for about 9 years btw. Every time I apply ignition to the motor, I get a brief "Check Engine" Message across the tach square gauge that last for 2-3 seconds. If I shut the ignition off and turn it back on a few seconds later, the message will not appear. However, if i wait for the ecm to power down or disconnect battery power, the message reappears once i turn ignition back on. I have tried to re-call codes by holding the mode button down but all i ever receive is the Code 01. I have never received this check engine warning while running the engine. I had a shop tech run the YDS and all he found was a repeated code 17 which is knock sensor. I have tested the knock sensor for ohms and it checks good according to the yamaha specs. The tech claims he is unable to erase the code, that it always re appears even without the engine running. I feel as though I may have a bad shared ground at the ecm that that may be causing the issues.I will test the grounds out of the ecm this weekend, however I am curious if anyone has ever encountered a similar issue. So after messing with the key on and off all day yesterday, the issue went away for roughly 2 hours, but when I woke up and crossed the shit out of my fingers this morning hoping the gremlin moved on, it was right back at it. I have ordered the YDS connector and software, should be here soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me clarify, I get this message without cranking the engine. It happens when I turn the key to the on position.

Comment

What is the voltage to the knock sensor?

Comment

What does the knock sensor connector terminals look like? Clean and free of corrosion?

Comment

3.16 volts from ecm to knock sensor. I cut out the connector and soldered the wire to remove the connector from the equation.

Comment

So if i have the green knock sensor wire disconnected from knock sensor i get 3.16 volts on the voltmeter, when connected to the knock sensor i get 1.92 volts for a whopping 1.24 voltage drop.

Comment

When I ohms checked the ECM terminal knock sensor pin to engine ground I get 551Kohms which is in range.

Comment

the reason you cannot clear the code???
                it is an active code.
                the ECU is not happy with the sensor or circuit.
                I would try another sensor.
                that sensor is a pain to access.

Comment

Maybe test the circuit from the ECU to the sensor. Maybe test the voltage output from the ECU right at the ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    the reason you cannot clear the code???
                    it is an active code.
                    the ECU is not happy with the sensor or circuit.
                    I would try another sensor.
                    that sensor is a pain to access.
                    Makes one wonder "what in the hell were they thinking?"

Now when it comes to the HPDI, not having a knock sensor, it sort of substantiates they were not thinking at all. Better to have one that is hard to access rather than not having one at all.

Comment

so in order to rule out the sensor i bought a new knock sensor and connected it to the the circuit. I ran a ground from the sensor body to the engine ground and the problem still exist. This was yamahas factory tech that told me to do it. he also advised wrapping the sensor in a towel and taking the boat for a test drive.

Comment

Continuity through ecm connector @ knock sensor pin checks good. getting .003 volts at pin coming out of ecm when plug is disconnected. not sure if I am testing that right. shouldnt the grounds on that connector be connected in order to get the correct voltage. gonna scrub the ecm grounds.

Comment

checked all the grounds as per the shop manual and all are good, im starting to wonder if maybe i am getting a brief period of RF/EMI interference during the start sequence...i checked the wire shielding around the knock sensor wire for ground as well and its good... i have no clue where else to look....

Comment

Note to self:
                            when the F225TXRD dies, find another pre-2011 F225;
                            don't get these VCT, knock sensor, electronic throttle monkeys on your back...

Comment

There is something to be said for simplicity.

Comment

Working...
                              X