Head gasket orientation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head gasket orientation...

Hello fellow enthusiasts and wrench benders...

I have the time and resources to replace my anodes clean my cylinder head water jacket passages on my SX150 txry. (Year 2000 twin 150 OX66's)
    I had been overheating and remedied by Rid Lyme circulation.

What is the orientation of the head gasket intendeded to be? I noticed a milk white trace of sealant on one side of the factory replacement gasket, and I am asking if that is placed against the engine block surface or the cylinder head mating surface.

Thank you all for your anticipated reply.
    Cheers!
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Sorry, but I am of no help on which side faces the head or block, but I am suprized that the gasket will fit properly in more that one direction.
    I have worked on a lot of different gas motors of all kinds in my life, and I would say most only fit properly one way.
    this does not mean your motor is like this, just check to make sure

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Sorry, but I am of no help on which side faces the head or block, but I am suprized that the gasket will fit properly in more that one direction.
      I have worked on a lot of different gas motors of all kinds in my life, and I would say most only fit properly one way.
      or maybe my memory is not very good now a days

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        The old factory installed gasket had no indication of the sealant visible after 20 years. Perhaps it was even a revision of the part.

The gasket appears to be symmetrical. The new gasket was sticky with a new factory coating so I hesitated to hold it up to the old gasket after it was unwrapped. I did compare it through the cellophane wrapper before I opened the package. I did not try to compare it in both orientations though, I suppose it was 50/50 and I got it right the first time.

Perhaps the

Comment

OK, here is the dope,

Regardless of which side is goopy or not, the correct installation is like this:

The steel crush inserts that surround the three cylinders, the flange on those rings are different on each side.
          The wider flange goes against the block.

Yamaha customer satisfaction representative: (866) 894-1626 for my year 2000 OX66 150hp.

Cheers!

I am not going to be surprised to find that Mr Parker is indeed, correct.

Comment

Imagine that.

Comment

Yes sir, right there all the time.... can't tell you how many time I DID NOT SEE that until you highlighted it...
              Thanks. B.

Comment

The FSM calls out for Loctite 572 on the head bolts.
                Not readily available that I have found in the local stores.

Anyone know of a comparable product that I can likely find on a shelf in town?
                Thx

Comment

A google search showed it as a low strength pipe thread sealant...

Comment

how about Permatex 59235 High temp thread sealant

Comment

Ok, yes... excellent idea. I can get that at AdvanceAuto. I don't go there often unless it is for something in a sealed container.
                      Generally, in my shop usually do not use any of the 'RED' loctite's unless specifically called out for or I am certain what I am trying to accomplish.
                      I don't want any of the numpty's permanently gluing bolts in where they are not desired... Blue 242, that is available to everyone.

Comment

Thank you 99yam40

Comment

59214- same stuff different packaging available at Advanced

Comment

Yep smaller package , but cheaper per unit of volume if getting the larger one.
                            I have used this thread sealant in many places after I bought the tube and had it here in the shop

Comment

Always wondered about orientation....flipped a coin....

Comment

Working...
                              X