Manually compressing Trim/Tilt Pump OX250HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually compressing Trim/Tilt Pump OX250HP

I have the entire assembly on my workbench - brought it home for the winter to replace seals as the tilt piston was leaking down. All of that went well and I bled the air out - which actually went pretty quickly. It physically functions perfectly, using the leads attached directly to a battery. I even put a 3/4" copper pipe through the tilt ram eye and hung about 100lbs on it for two days. I realize there's MUCH more weight on it in real use, given the weight and leverage of the motor. But it seems to be OK.

So, the question is... When I "trim" down, the tilt piston goes all the way down but the trim rams do not. I cannot push the trim rams down by hand (regardless of where the manual release screw is set). Is this normal? Meaning, in order for the trim rams to collapse, do they need help from the power of the tilt ram pulling the engine down onto the trim rams? I can move one of the trim rams by hand - but only about a 1/2" - when I push the other one, the first one pops back up. Maybe I'm just not pushing the two of them hard enough?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

About 16.25 mins into this video. He has to lean on them pretty hard. Assuming your unit is similar.

https://marinetechtools.com/diy-trai...rim-seals.html

probably difficult to do with unit on bench.

Comment

Yeah, the two units certainly look similar. I'm sure close enough as makes no difference when it comes to the operation, anyways. Thanks - that's a good find! You're right - he's pushing really hard. I have mine in a vice and while it's secure, I'm leery of pushing too hard for fear of it coming out of the vice. Maybe I'll try again...

Thanks!

Comment

You're right - it was the harder angle to push while it was in the vice. I pushed a little harder and slowly started to get it to go down. Then I got smarter... got my son to hold the wires on the battery while I pushed and I could do both trim rams at the same time with my thumbs.

Thank you!

Comment

got my son to hold the wires on the battery while I pushed and I could do both trim rams at the same time with my thumbs.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

That’s a good tidbit of info too.

now when are going to get that lower unit off?

Comment

Not having an “edit” feature is starting to get annoying.

Comment

FYI, it is proper procedure to retract the trim rams after you place the engine on the trailer support.... HUH?

When you tilt all the way up and then position the trailer support, lower the engine down onto the trailer support (so the engine is not bouncing down the road) Then, continue to press down on the trim/tilt control. The trim rams will eventually retract into their turtle shell where they are protected and surrounded by oil.

This is suggested to, (or in the directions) to store the engine so the shiny metal of the trim rams is not exposed to the elements.
              If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

trailer it on the tilt supports and post back about what a pain it is to replace the damaged supports.
                your owners manual specifically states NOT to trailer it on the supports.
                Yamaha and a few other companies make supports for trailering that fit over the trim or tilt rams depending on the model.
                when storing I prefer to leave the motor in the down position when practicle.

Comment

Working...
                X