Motor abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor abuse

Crazy how some people treat motors....I go to check out a low hour 1988 200hp...motor looked mint. The guy starts it on muffs that aren't sealed well...no pee stream....nothing even out lower mid section.
    No oil in oil tank under cover and he's running it on straight gas with fuel hose stuck in a bucket. This is after motor sat at least 2 years.
    Then.....wait for it..............he starts revving it to the moon in neutral......then puts it in gear and revs it some more....and for the grand finale....slams it into reverse and revs it.
    I wanted to run away....my ears are still ringing a day later.
    Then....when I tell him I'll pass....he gets an attitude and says I wasted HIS time!!! I drove 2 hours each way!!!!

He must crab for a living.

Comment

How much was he looking to get. Offer scrap dollars. I know a rigger that doubled his income stream by parting out the removed engines. They are worth several times value in parts rather than a complete assembly.
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

2,500!!! Motor was MINT (fresh water, always covered) but...oil would be good.
        Water is one thing....for short duration. I'd be replacing impeller anyway.

Comment

$2500 for a thirty year old 200... wow.

Comment

You would be surprised what well preserved examples still bring....some people like the simplicity and reliability of 2 strokes....especially those motors that have never touched salt water....

Comment

.....and compared to cost of new motors. Contrary to popular belief all boaters are not millionaires....

Comment

Perhaps it was like a case of an abused puppy. You were put there to save the poor girl from further abuse...

Comment

How long can a motor run on straight gas without damage? I could see with what might still be left on the bearings and cylinder walls, maybe a minute at most.
                  Years ago I bought a motor that the guy didn't know it needed gas in oil....crazy since back then all were....BUT it was when there was LEAD in the gas. He only ran it for testing/demo.
                  I ended up buying it after giving the guy a lecture. Ran great for years!
                  Don't think today's lead-free, ethanol gas would be so kind.....

Comment

hard to say how long.
                    think about it the motor sat for a long time so, good chance there not much protection where it needed to be.

Ex and the kids killed a few 2 stoke motors on yard equipment when I was not there to stop them from puttin straight gas in them, so I have no idea how long they were run like that.

you would think they would have caught on with all the hell I gave them

Comment

Yup....my son in law ran my 1949 British Seagull motor on straight gas until it stopped. They were trying to help my 93ry old Dad who confused his 2000 Honda 2hp for my Seagull!
                      Amazingly Seagull survived it.....and it's meant to run on like 20-1.

Comment

Correction 10-1....but I run 25-1 since I feel new oils are a whole lot better than what they had in 1949.....

Comment

I had craftsman chain saws the listed 16 to 1.
                          well oiled and run forever

I just run 40 to1 modern 2 stroke oil in all my yard machines
                          50 to 1 on the boat motors

Comment

ANY oil better than NO oil.

Comment

this is very true

Comment

Working...
                              X