No announcement yet.

1988 Yamaha 150's high temp alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hows the inside of the t-stats look, much improvement?

What you got out looks pretty nasty BTW...

Good luck on the test run..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

T- stat holes were much cleaner. Only took 1 pic of the "before" of one hole but they all looked pretty similiar. This is after I scraped off what i could on that outside.

During the rinse

and After

Comment

Tks, not bad looking at all.

Way better than my neighbors engine when we pulled it apart initially..
        Scott

Comment

Hopefully it was just an obstruction and it cleared. Will know more tonight. Scott, Just saw you live In Cape Coral. I have relatives in St James City and Cape Coral and my mom and dad are in Ft Myers with the Kissimmee Boat A Cade this week. Left pink shell this morning for a marina downtow???
          Anyway spent a lot of time down that way as a kid. Had grandparents in Naples. Used to fish wiggins pass all the time growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Z-man228 View Post
            Hopefully it was just an obstruction and it cleared. Will know more tonight. Scott, Just saw you live In Cape Coral. I have relatives in St James City and Cape Coral and my mom and dad are in Ft Myers with the Kissimmee Boat A Cade this week. Left pink shell this morning for a marina downtow???
            Anyway spent a lot of time down that way as a kid. Had grandparents in Naples. Used to fish wiggins pass all the time growing up.
            I pass St James City when ever we go trout fishing inside Sanibel. My canal comes out by Little Shell Island (SW Cape, finger canals). Yep, there's a marina on West First Street downtown FT Myers as well as the Yacht basin.

Before retirment, I was on the first FMPD BOAT law enforcement squad. I, actually, with a grant, got the first cop boat, boat lift put in at the FM Yacht basin. Before we had to trailer from the station (not good when someone needs help).

Did my Divemasters underwater mapping/emergency procedures at Wiggins Pass many moons ago too.

Just back in from a DR's apt with my mom in Naples about an hour ago too!!
            Scott

Comment

Good to know. If/when I make it down there I will let you know. Maybe make a grouper trip out or something. Also, I will post tonight or tomorrow am on the condition of the motors. Rain is moving in up here and I may not get a chance to get to the water if it is coming down the way it has the last 5-8 days (not complaining, we really need the rain to fill our lakes up). I have generated a lot of talk on a couple of sites about the rydlyme and a lot of yamaha guys are questioning the needed use of it either as a cure or preventative medicine for a future condition. we will see!!!

Comment

Call it Snake oil, Call it Santa Claus, Call it a band aid......it worked. Boat ran like a raped ape. no buzzers, heads are cooler than before......I am back on the water

Comment

Excellent!!!!
                  Scott

Comment

glad it worked.
                    removing the covers and heads on that motor can be a nightmare.

however as a professional tech that's pretty much what I would have had to do at the shop, remove things.

IF I spent about 4 hours doing a rydlyme or vinager flush and it cost you about 400-450 dollars and it DID NOT work, would you happily pay me for my time?

its a customer relations thing and the fact I have no desire to work on antiques anymore.

we have a T9.9mlhx for sale. how we got it was it came in in 3 milk crates.
                    after I reassembled the powerhead to block.
                    reassembled the cyl head and carb.
                    resealed the gearcase the bill was about 1400 dollars.
                    the customer was kept in the loop at each stage and authorized further repairs.
                    then he stuck us with a motor that may be worth 500.
                    I got paid but the shop lost money.
                    its why I don't like blowboat motors or most blow boaters nor do I like working on antiques in saltwater.

but going back to the rydlyme thing.
                    if your local marina charged you for their time and materials and it DID NOT work, would you happily pay them with no fussing?????

Comment

Rodbolt, you and I both know the proper way to resolve this is to pull the heads and covers and we both know that neither of us want to do that for the obvious reasons. If this gets me thru a couple of more years until I can afford new motors than great. To answer your question though, If I would have taken the boat to the shop and they guaranteed me this would work and it didn't, then I would be pissed. If they told me (and they did but they wanted to use toilet bowl cleaner) that there was chance they could clear the issue but no guarantee of the outcome and it didn't work and I chose to go that route than I have no one to blame but myself. Having worked in the marine business(manufacturing side and sales) I also know the avg customer wants something for nothing and are for the most part ****s when they don't get it; I really try not to act that way. I just didn't want to start popping bolt heads without giving this a try. I have $107 in the rydlyme, $34.99 in a harbor freight pump, $2.70 in a piece of hose, 6-8 hours of my labor and I back on the water for now.
                      Last edited by Z-man228; 06-20-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

our shop labor rate is 90/hr.
                        at 7 hours your into it for about 630,add the rest and your into it for at least 750 and that's without new t-stats or pump kits.
                        and AINT NO WAY I would warrenty that it would or would not work.

I did the heads and covers on a SX150txex about a week ago.
                        managed to only snap off 8 screws of which I managed to back out 2 with oxy/acetylene the rest I drilled.
                        I ended up with the motor after the repairs.
                        only took me about 8 hours and 160 bucks worth of gaskets.

Comment

They wanted $800 down here to the job on my neighbors 200HP, barring any problems...

His motor wasn't nearly as old and we didn't break any bolts...
                          Scott

Comment

Update- been 11 months since I used the rydlyme on the motors. Still running great!!!! Had to put a new CDI box on one of them late last summer but other than that everything is good. Getting ready to haul to keys and leave it at my folks place for a couple of months. Anybody has any questions on the Rydlyme let me know.

Comment

Is that the stuff that is used to rid one of Lyme's disease? The ticks here are terrible this year.

Comment

Yep, I think you just spread it all over your body to keep the ticks off of you or maybe that was Deet.(it was a joke so do not try that)

Hey if it will clean out build up without ****ing a motor apart it can be a good thing

Comment

Working...
                                X