Is oil supposed to cone out here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is oil supposed to cone out here?

Got this motor for my inflatable. Obviously used. saw it was leaking out of the little hole pictured. Anyone know what could be causing it,and how to fix it?

More than likely your gear case needs resealed, drain it and pressure check at 14 psi.
    Don't go over 14 psi.

Comment

Hey Walleye,is this the replacement kit for what I would need? I’ll call whatever supplier and give them my boat motor number to make sure I get the right one? But this in general would seal the gear case?

Comment

Comment

That be it.

Comment

don do it from Yamaha, way to spensive and you will have stuff left over you will never use.
            order each seal/oring that you need.

Comment

Looking at your picture the oil looks green, very much like two stroke engine oil (the oil added to fuel). You can check this by smelling it. Proper gear oil is quite strong smelling.
              And those holes bleed water out of hollows in the castings.

I guess, it is oil coming from above inside the cowling from spillage/ leakage. Even if the gear box was incorrectly filled with two stroke engine oil, it is very unlikely that that oil came out of the lower unit through those holes.

That's not to say it isn't a good idea to test the sealing of the unit. If you see milky oil coming out when you drain it, you probably should embark on changing seals eventually.

At this stage methinks that oil didn't come from the lower unit. Check inside the engine cowling too.

Comment

I agree ,
                ID the oil by getting a little on you finger and then smelling it.
                then drop lower unit to see what is going on.
                If it is 2 stroke oil, see if it is running down the drive shaft

Comment

that drain hole is simply to drain a cavity. my guess is it is gear oil. typically if engine oil runs down the Ex it turns black with the carbon it picked up. best is to test the gearcase.

Comment

Could be Merc Hi-Performance gear lube - the color looks about right.

Does this engine even use an oil injected system, or is it pre-mix?

In addition to smelling - and comparing to the 2 cycle oil you use if you have an oil injected sytem - you can compare the color to the gear lube in the case by leaking a few drops out.

Gear lube seems to make the most sense, I think.
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

if you look at the tag the C says it is commercial. single carb non oil injected 2 stroke 25.
                      typically if yoi did not burn the premix and the raw oil/fuel mix goes down the leg it dissolves the carbon and dripps out black.
                      not clear.
                      typically oil from that hole is a shift shaft seal leak.

Comment

That makes sense. It's a long way to travel to try and retain it's "new" looking color.
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

My C40TLRX did have the lower crank seal leaking I guess, and some of the recirculating check valves bad when I took it apart to replace the crank due to bad bearings and it had clean 2 stroke oil running down the drive shaft lubing the water pump impeller.
                          I think it did have some clean oil come out of the drain holes too.
                          but cannot swear on that.
                          smell test will confirm.
                          lower gear oil and 2 stroke oil smell totally different
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-15-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Another case of needing to sniff a lower.

Comment

Working...
                            X