No announcement yet.

Yamaha outboard to Teleflex binnacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a set of Teleflex Lido gauges (white face, blue backlight). I am going to install a full set of 'old school' analog gauges even though I am being pressured to go all electronic and have a single display. I will likely add an electronic all purpose display device as well, but want to keep the analog gauges. I had actually decided on a Standard Horizon NMEA chart plotter last winter but see that they have pretty much discontinued everything except their radios this year. Now its back to endless online searches to find one that fits my needs/wants and budget! I am open to suggestions....

Comment

save a few more coins in the coffee can. scrap the junkers and order the digital Yamaha stuff and no relay crapo;la stuff is needed. buy the tach harness as well and it is simply plug and play.
      if you want the tach/speed lamps to light at key on???? simply plug the yellow and blue bullets together in the tach harness.
      you asre way way overcomplicating a standard yamaaha rigging on a batau.
      the Yamaha digital tach will give you RPM,visual indicates for overhead and oil and trim indicate.
      one hole.
      if your gonna run a GPS I would not bother with a speedo.

Comment

does anyone know what Yamaha Motor is being talked about.
        probably makes a difference when talking about gauges

Comment

if you’re gonna run a GPS I would not bother with a speedo.
          [/QUOTE]

Now you’’re going to get Roscoe all hot and bothered.

I’ll pass on the analog gauges myself
          Last edited by pstephens46; 02-15-2019, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            Now you’re going to get Roscoe all hot and bothered.

I’ll pass on the analog gauges myself[/QUOTE]

Not gonna hot and bother me.

If someone does not care about speed through the water then GPS speed is the way to go.

Now when it comes to gauges, Roscoe sez there is no such thing as too many.

Comment

the harness rigging pics indicate a less than 20 yr old non DEC or most command link.
              I can make about any 6y5tach fit any Yamaha engine that is cabeable of a digital tach fit.
              it is simply understanding what your trying to do. can I make the 6y5 for the 04 and older work on an 05 and newer. takes about 10 min of shifting some pins and adding a ground.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Now you’re going to get Roscoe all hot and bothered.

I’ll pass on the analog gauges myself
                Not gonna hot and bother me.

If someone does not care about speed through the water then GPS speed is the way to go.

Now when it comes to gauges, Roscoe sez there is no such thing as too many.

[/QUOTE]

What ****pit is that? DC 6?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  save a few more coins in the coffee can. scrap the junkers and order the digital Yamaha stuff and no relay crapo;la stuff is needed. buy the tach harness as well and it is simply plug and play.
                  if you want the tach/speed lamps to light at key on???? simply plug the yellow and blue bullets together in the tach harness.
                  you asre way way overcomplicating a standard yamaaha rigging on a batau.
                  the Yamaha digital tach will give you RPM,visual indicates for overhead and oil and trim indicate.
                  one hole.
                  I really don't want to throw everything away and fit the dealer supplied Yamaha harness. The problem with my local Yamaha dealers is that they either don't understand or don't want to share the wiring in their harness. They just want to sell factory configured and plug everything together. I want to first of all understand what is happening so that when I break down in the ocean, I can troubleshoot it and secondly, I would like to use the hardware that I already own. The Teleflex throttle/shift is also mounted on my console so changing would mean more construction to fill the hole and cut a new one.

Connecting the Yellow wire to the blue, might be okay with a standard Yamaha rigging, but won't work with my setup. In my wiring at the console:

Yellow is +12vdc on ignition
                  Blue is unused electric choke

That would give me +12vdc ignition connected to the unused electric choke wiring in the harness. That is NOT going to turn on my gauge lights ;-)

I am NOT intending to use Yamaha supplied instrument cluster. Everything is intended to be Teleflex analog gauges. However, it seems that there are a lot of people telling me to forget about the old school analog gauges and use either a full electronic or at least a Yamaha multi-purpose tachometer.

I really like the analog ****pit! Guess why I want an analog cluster? Oh well, still pretty cold and lots of snow on the ground so boat building is taking a back seat. Perhaps I will reconsider and start listening to the digital crowd. Thanks for the advice

[EDIT] Wow, the board software doesn't like the word for a rooster. LOL

Comment

Re the "rooster", type "C0CK" using a ZERO #-not a letter...
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Tach harness blue is not for a choke, it is for the gauge lights

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        Tach harness blue is not for a choke, it is for the gauge lights
                        I only have the 10 pin engine wiring harness in which I understand the blue is e-choke? Since I don't have the Yamaha tach harness, I didn't know that, but thank you for the information. Likely will save me some "trouble shooting" time if I do decide to go with the Yamaha tach harness. Info appreciated!

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Yamaha tach harness? My Teleflex tach (tach only) merely needs the engine tach signal (set the cylinders/mags on the back of the tach). For this, I intended to use the Yamaha 10 pin wiring harness pin-4 Dark Green tach signal. Obviously, this tach also has power and backlight connections.

Comment

Working...
                        X