Yamaha outboard to Teleflex binnacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha outboard to Teleflex binnacle

After wasting a bunch of time with a couple of local dealers trying to decide how to get my boat prepared for a Yamaha outboard but using my own key and throttle/shift, I came up with my own solution. Local dealers basically told me "forget it, can't be done" and "if you want a Yamaha engine, gotta buy a Yamaha control box". BS. I already own a really nice Teleflex binnacle (CH7500) and have built my own console around it. Anyhow, here is what I came up with should anyone else want to 'borrow it'. If nothing else, it should help understand how the wiring for the engine to key and console goes together.

Anyone notice a mistake, please feel free to let me know. The sooner the better!

​​​​​​​
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bateau_CX19; 02-11-2019, 06:47 PM.

Diagram looks OK to me. Good job.

No comment as to the nattering nabobs of negativity. They are everywhere. Need to stay away from them.

Comment

dunno why they tole ya that.
      we do it all the time.
      in fact my F150 on a 211 seapro has two twin lever Morse boxes,lenco tabs and a jack plate. all can be con*****ed from either station.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        dunno why they tole ya that.
        we do it all the time.
        in fact my F150 on a 211 seapro has two twin lever Morse boxes,lenco tabs and a jack plate. all can be con*****ed from either station.
        You still thinking about selling that boat?

Comment

gonna sell it.
          cleared the fuel system now I gotta finnish some hull maint. did the tires and bearings last fall.

Comment

Some what of a pain to have to maintain something you do not really need or use.
            keeping up with all of the things I use is bad enough

Comment

If you have someone always looking over your shoulder (wife) you should alternate use between your toys so that you show her you "really" need all these things.
              But if you actually believe you no longer want something anymore, it is surprising how much effort we go to to catch up on the maintenance that we were happy to let lapse a bit.
              Why is it that we believe other people's standards or expectation are higher than ours, we do this work not only to get the highest price.
              Our last house was the best and cleanest it had ever been when we sold it, strikingly so, so I took many many pictures of this strange clean empty house that had never ever looked this good before! Mind you it was transformed from a Home to now just a House!

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                gonna sell it.
                cleared the fuel system now I gotta finnish some hull maint. did the tires and bearings last fall.
                I’ve thought about selling and getting out for a few years. To get the kids through college and also deal with their other interests (damn horses). It would be much more expensive to get back in later I am convinced. Older good running boats are hard to find and anything else is ridiculously expensive.

Comment

I have worked on boats roughly 30 years. done with them.
                  seapro sat from may to about September tied up and never left the harbor.
                  it is time for it to move along. great boat. I have no interest in it anymore.

Comment

Holy Thread Hijack! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bateau_CX19 View Post
                      Holy Thread Hijack! ;-)
                      We thought you were done. We get bored and wander off. Especially this time of year. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

where is the tach harness?

Comment

What tachometer? What tachometer harness?

Comment

we don't need no stinking tachs.

Comment

;-) No problem, it is winter so we can just think about boating.

In response to the tach question.

The 4 wire harness on the left from the key contains red (+12vdc), yellow (+12vdc ignition), green (Tach signal) and black (ground). This drawing leads into another for my gauge cluster and and console wiring. The yellow wire will supply power to the gauges and the green provides the tach signal. I am not sure but am considering using the yellow ignition wire to drive a small relay to provide a larger source of 12vdc to a separate distribution box with +12vdc when the engine is on (4 or 6 circuits). This would give me the ability to have instrument lights, etc. automatically come on with the engine. I'm not sure how much current the yellow wire can source alone so that is why the relay and a separate 12vdc source. I will also use another small distribution block for my 24 hour circuits for memory, clock, etc.

I also have waterproof plug type connectors coming to replace the factory mismatches and the 4-wire ignition bundle. This should allow me to keep the wiring neat and modular. The idea is to aid troubleshooting and parts replacement in the future. I have built the boat from scratch (plans from Bateau,com, model CX-19) and am now starting to fit it out. As an instrumentation guy this is the part of the build I am really going to enjoy. Although I suspect it might also be a pretty expensive phase of the build.

Comment

Working...
                              X