Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing indicator on CDI box

2005 90TLRD....

out of curiousity, the timing indicator on the outside of the CDI box.... does it do anything or is it just a visible sign showing timing?

as in mine doesn’t line up with the mold tick marks at idle or at WOT... curious if that arm has any other effects??

It gives an indication about if timing is right or not. You need to adjust the timing with a timing light on cyl1 to get it right. Marks on my 90TLRA lines up almost exactly and timing is as in SM. 8 degrees ATDC at idle and 22 degrees BTDC at full advanced set with a timing light.
    Last edited by holmen78; 02-07-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by holmen78 View Post
      It gives an indication about if timing is right or not. You need to adjust the timing with a timing light on cyl1 to get it right. Marks on my 90TLRA lines up almost exactly and timing is as in SM. 8 degrees ATDC at idle and 22 degrees BTDC at full advanced set with a timing light.
      Thanks. Yes I’m used to setting timing with a light. Maybe not at WOT hanging over the back of the motor... but the principle.

I just didn’t know exactly how critical that little pointer was. Like if that’s how’s the prime start advanced Timing or anything like that. I Know the actual timing is set with the stop pads and screws.

Since the pointer alignment is adjustable, once I verify the timing with the light I’ll set that pointer correctly.

Comment

I don’t know if it works but I will try to check full advance timing by unscrewing sparkplugs, full throttle and crank the motor. Just to test if I get the same results as driving it wot hanging over the motor, lol. We have winter here and boat is in the garage, guess I’m waiting until it gets warmer and do it outside when snow has melted.

Comment

Originally posted by holmen78 View Post
          I don’t know if it works but I will try to check full advance timing by unscrewing sparkplugs, full throttle and crank the motor. Just to test if I get the same results as driving it wot hanging over the motor, lol. We have winter here and boat is in the garage, guess I’m waiting until it gets warmer and do it outside when snow has melted.
          That’s my problem... we rarely get snow here anymore but when we do the cities just shut down. People cry bloody murder and curse the weatherman.

ive heard of ways to set timing without running the motor.... doing it while running just seems like it’d be more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch184 View Post

ive heard of ways to set timing without running the motor.... doing it while running just seems like it’d be more accurate.
            I agree with you. Im just going to test it out of curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch184 View Post

That’s my problem... we rarely get snow here anymore but when we do the cities just shut down. People cry bloody murder and curse the weatherman.

You must live near me? Here they curse, jump in car to arrive at store for chips, bread, beer and ice cream. As soon as it starts snowing, back in car to get the liquor they forgot. They curse all other drivers for not knowing how to drive right up until sliding into a ditch.

Comment

On my C40TLRX I maked where the pointer was going to while motor was not running,
                then fired it up and checked idle timing with a light to see if it was close to spec.

then disconnected the pointer linkage and moved the pointer to where I marked it would go at WOT(hit the stopper) while motor was still at idle and used the light to see if it showed in spec.

did not run it long like that, just enough to get a reading.

once on open water I did confirm where the light was reading at idle and WOT with the help of someone else driving

Comment

Thats a great way to do it. Thanks for the tip. A lot nicer to do all the adjustments home at the garage and just verify once on water.

Comment

That seems a lot easier.... run at idle then advance the timing arm to the stopper manually And re check.

Comment

I never read it anywhere, but I did do it.
                      RPM went up some with no load on motor. and I did not hold it there long
                      just long enough to see with the light where the timing went.
                      already had the timing light hooked up so just a few seconds to get the readings

Comment

Sorry... just following up. So that pointer on the CDi box has no other function than to visually show you what the timing is doing, correct?

Comment

it should also be an internal TPS, to tell the CDI where the throttle is positioned at.
                          gives you a visual indicator while following the procedure setting in service manual

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            it should also be an internal TPS, to tell the CDI where the throttle is positioned at.
                            gives you a visual indicator while following the procedure setting in service manual
                            Gotcha. Then does the CDi do anything based on that TPS ?

Comment

it sets the timing

Comment

Working...
                              X