'90 70hp neutral throttle or fast idle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '90 70hp neutral throttle or fast idle cable

I'm learning that I am the idiot your parents warned you about regarding internet searches. I am going nuts trying to find out if the throttle/shift cable and the fast idle cable are the same size on my 1990 70hp Yamaha. The nuetral throttle cable is stuck and won't move either way. However, I can't find information anywhere on the internet (and I believe yesterday I found the end of the internet) to even show me the cable let alone determine if the two cables are the same. I don't need a new throttle box...just the idle cable. I have the owners manual for the motor and there is no mention anywhere regarding the throttle at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You have a throttle and shift cable and they are the same. Don't know what a neutral cable is.

Comment

There are two control cables connected to the motor. One for the shift and one for the throttle.

I suspect that you have a 704 external side mount control box. If so, it has a lever that can be used to advance the throttle without the motor being shifted into gear. Some motors like to have a bit of throttle to facilitate a cold start. The lever is used for that. Or just to warm it up at a fast idle without the motor being placed into gear.

Yamaha refers to that as the fast idle lever. Or free accelerator.

Comment

Suggestion... adding onto what has been said... this may help you better understand things. Pop the hood off your motor. Have someone move the throttle advance lever and note the cable that is moving on the engine (throttle only). Next, have someone place the engine into gear as you note what cable moves (shift only). Then, have them continue to move the gear/throttle lever and you should now see the throttle cable start to move.

Now, you said something is "stuck". Look at those two cables on the engine again and make notes how/where they are attached. Disconnect them. Have someone do the same thing as above. Any change to the "stuck" issue? If not, the problem is the cable(s) or the control box and you can continue diagnosis from there. If the stickiness goes away, then the issue is at the linkages on the engine (although this is less likely the issue).
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Turn the prop as you put it in gear.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            There are two control cables connected to the motor. One for the shift and one for the throttle.

I suspect that you have a 704 external side mount control box. If so, it has a lever that can be used to advance the throttle without the motor being shifted into gear. Some motors like to have a bit of throttle to facilitate a cold start. The lever is used for that. Or just to warm it up at a fast idle without the motor being placed into gear.

Yamaha refers to that as the fast idle lever. Or free accelerator.

Yes, that is exactly the issue. I disconnected it on the motor and the "fast idle lever" won't budge. I had this with my steering cable a few years ago and replaced it. My problem is that I can't seem to find any information regarding the two cables that go back to the motor. Are they the same cables X2 or is each cable different size? I would love to change both just to be safe.

Comment

Both cables are the same. Make sure the control lever is in neutral or the fast idle lever will not move.

Comment

But what about the actual gear lever? Does that move the throttle cable? What happens if you disconnect the cable at the box?

EDIT: Re-read your first post and you seemed adamant that the box was good. What led you to think that?
                Last edited by DennisG01; 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                  But what about the actual gear lever? Does that move the throttle cable? What happens if you disconnect the cable at the box?
                  It has to or you couldn't raise the idle for cold starts.

As for disconnecting the cable at the box, I would do that first (and the motor) to make sure it IS the cable seized up..

The Op needs to open the box and see what's going on. Likely the cable is seized. Once disconnected, he'll see was NOT moving (and should be)..
                  Shouldn't be a major project opening the box...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I am thinking someone needs to point the OP to where he can find the Yamaha cables on this web site .
                    it must be in rigging somewhere.
                    It is not under his motor model.

water getting inside the cable causes rust
                    too tight of a bend in the cables cause them to bind up and wear down to metal to metal contact inside also.
                    replacing as a set is a good idea.

the cables should be marked close to the ends as to what length the old ones are.
                    may give the OP a part number to be looking up

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Yeah, that's where I've been trying to go with this. Trying to first isolate where the issue is. IF the gear lever moves the throttle cable, then we know the cable is good. If the cable doesn't move, then it's either the cable or the box and we can proceed from there. I'm typing this out more for the OP's benefit - I realize you don't need it explained

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

As for disconnecting the cable at the box, I would do that first (and the motor) to make sure it IS the cable seized up..

The Op needs to open the box and see what's going on. Likely the cable is seized. Once disconnected, he'll see was NOT moving (and should be)..
                        Shouldn't be a major project opening the box...
                        There is no question the cable is seized up. I disconnected from the motor and it would not budge. I'm just having a helluva time finding a part number to order one.

Comment

Measure it from the front of the control to the end of the cable, round it off to the closest foot
                          and we will look you up a part number.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                            Measure it from the front of the control to the end of the cable, round it off to the closest foot
                            and we will look you up a part number.
                            You don't know how much I appreciate the help but unfortunately my boat (like all other western PA boaters) is sitting in a storage facility until April. I'm going to see if anyone at the fairgrounds can let me in to measure it. I will take a picture as well. Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by another best/worst day View Post

There is no question the cable is seized up. I disconnected from the motor and it would not budge. I'm just having a helluva time finding a part number to order one.
                              No. There could be an issue with the BOX. Yes, it could be the cable, but try the things we mentioned to narrow down the possibilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X