'90 70hp neutral throttle or fast idle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
    But what about the actual gear lever? Does that move the throttle cable? What happens if you disconnect the cable at the box?

EDIT: Re-read your first post and you seemed adamant that the box was good. What led you to think that?
    The one throttle/shift handle serves two functions. The first X degrees of movement merely moves only the shift cable so as to shift the motor into gear. The next Y degrees of movement then causes the throttle cable to move, opening the throttle valve(s).

With the throttle/shift handle in the vertical position (throttle/shift box in neutral position) raising the fast idle lever will cause the throttle cable to move. Thus opening the throttle valve(s) a small amount. While the motor does not shift into gear.

Comment

Comment

Remember, the plastic cable ends have to be screwed on at the min of 8mm.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The one throttle/shift handle serves two functions. The first X degrees of movement merely moves only the shift cable so as to shift the motor into gear. The next Y degrees of movement then causes the throttle cable to move, opening the throttle valve(s).

With the throttle/shift handle in the vertical position (throttle/shift box in neutral position) raising the fast idle lever will cause the throttle cable to move. Thus opening the throttle valve(s) a small amount. While the motor does not shift into gear.
          Right - agree. I was just paraphrasing a little from post #4 where I explained it in a little more detail. With the goal to see if the cable DOES in fact move, or maybe the throttle only lever is stuck somehow.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I am thinking someone needs to point the OP to where he can find the Yamaha cables on this web site .
            https://www.boats.net/search?q=MAR-CABLE-

Comment

But what about the actual gear lever? Does that move the throttle cable? What happens if you disconnect the cable at the box?

EDIT: Re-read your first post and you seemed adamant that the box was good. What led you to think that?
              I probably assumed that it was the cable as I did disconnect it at the motor and the idle lever would only go up about an inch but I saw no cable movement. I did not attempt to take it out of the throttle box as of today. Unfortunately my boat is in storage and I won't see it until April. Because I am a bit familiar with "stuck" cables, I'm just assuming it is a 28 year old cable that has seen better times!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The first thing I checked out was to make sure the throttle was in neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I am thinking someone needs to point the OP to where he can find the Yamaha cables on this web site .
                  it must be in rigging somewhere.
                  It is not under his motor model.

water getting inside the cable causes rust
                  too tight of a bend in the cables cause them to bind up and wear down to metal to metal contact inside also.
                  replacing as a set is a good idea.

the cables should be marked close to the ends as to what length the old ones are.
                  may give the OP a part number to be looking up
                  I really appreciate the help. I have the original O&M for the motor and there is not one mention in there regarding the throttle box and cables. I'm guessing these are not manufactured by Yamaha? It's an integral part of the motor so I'm confused why it would not be any mention of it in the O&M.

Comment

It very well could be the cable, but personally I like to do my best to eliminate the possible variables before replacing something. And the box is a variable. That's why moving the gear/throttle lever can help narrow things down. That's all - just trying to save you some time and money.

What's an "O&M"? BUT, the cables and control box are different entities than the engine, so I'm not surprised it's not in whatever manual for the ENGINE you're referring to. You'd need a manual for the CONTROL BOX. Control box and/or cables "could" be Yamaha (I don't recall if you ever confirmed that in your previous posts... see Boscoe's posts)... but they could just as easily be a different manufacturer.
                    Last edited by DennisG01; 02-12-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by another best/worst day View Post

I really appreciate the help. I have the original O&M for the motor and there is not one mention in there regarding the throttle box and cables. I'm guessing these are not manufactured by Yamaha? It's an integral part of the motor so I'm confused why it would not be any mention of it in the O&M.
                      No. Control cables are not an integral part of the motor. Neither is the control box. Neither are gauges. Or the propeller.

The motor comes in a box from Japan with basically just the motor. There may very well be the engine mounting bolts, some terminal fittings and an owner's manual included. That is it.

Somebody decides what control cables to buy and use, what gauge(s) to use, what control box type to use and what brand/model/pitch of propeller to be used. They don't have to be Yamaha branded.

Now when it comes to Yamaha branded control cables, they are not actually made by Yamaha. They are made by Teleflex for Yamaha.

Comment

When it comes to Yamaha service manuals, they are written for a Yamaha mechanic. They typically assume that the mechanic has a basic understanding of how to install control cables (at each end) without this information being specified in each and every service manual.

The owner's manual is directed towards the typical user. The typical user has no need to know how to connect control cables to either the motor or a control box. The user just needs the information that tells him how to speed up and slow down the motor. How to shift it into and out of gear. What the control box type is and how it works.

Comment

the information on dissasmbling/reassembly a Yamaha control box is NOT in the service manual.
                          it was in various rigging manual until 2010.
                          trust me,take the box and cables off together,leave a pull chase when you pull the cables.
                          take it to a YAMAHA dealer and ask them to call you when it is ready.
                          trust me if you cannot ID a 3300 series cable you really don't want to open the box.
                          I repair 10-15 a year cause a neighbor was helping.

Comment

It very well could be the cable, but personally I like to do my best to eliminate the possible variables before replacing something. And the box is a variable. That's why moving the gear/throttle lever can help narrow things down. That's all - just trying to save you some time and money.

What's an "O&M"? BUT, the cables and control box are different entities than the engine, so I'm not surprised it's not in whatever manual for the ENGINE you're referring to. You'd need a manual for the CONTROL BOX. Control box and/or cables "could" be Yamaha (I don't recall if you ever confirmed that in your previous posts... see Boscoe's posts)... but they could just as easily be a different manufacturer.
                            O&M is operation and maintenance manual. I'm guessing you are correct regarding "ownership" of the throttle box and cables being someone other than Yamaha. My steering cable was a nightmare after my first year of ownership. It took two men and a boy to turn the steering wheel! I read about lubricating it but the common thought by most was to just replace it. The only hard part of the cable replacement was I had to take the starboard side of my boat apart to run the cable! I replaced the foam (27 years old) with about 20 swimming noodles. Figured they had as much buoyancy! I'm not afraid at all to attack the throttle cable, I just need to know where to get the correct one. I have seen several posts with info and I will follow them up. My problem is the boat is in storage and I won't see it until April 1st.

Comment

Just an FYI,

Install one of these (on the tilt tube where the steering cable exits) and lube every once in awhile. Your steering cable will last WAY longer.

It has an internal seal and keeps water / moisture out which is when you get serious rusting in the tube..

(I'm on 22 YEARS with the original cable on mine, mostly salt water, little brackish water)..

Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by another best/worst day View Post

O&M is operation and maintenance manual. I'm guessing you are correct regarding "ownership" of the throttle box and cables being someone other than Yamaha. My steering cable was a nightmare after my first year of ownership. It took two men and a boy to turn the steering wheel! I read about lubricating it but the common thought by most was to just replace it. The only hard part of the cable replacement was I had to take the starboard side of my boat apart to run the cable! I replaced the foam (27 years old) with about 20 swimming noodles. Figured they had as much buoyancy! I'm not afraid at all to attack the throttle cable, I just need to know where to get the correct one. I have seen several posts with info and I will follow them up. My problem is the boat is in storage and I won't see it until April 1st.
                                If it comes down to where you need new cables, don't worry - any local marine store can get them in a day or two. I forget if it was mentioned above, but probably the easiest thing to do is to pull them out, but leave a pull cord in it's place. Then, take the whole cable to your local store and plop it on the counter and just say "I need new ones". They'll figure it out from there. Heck of a lot easier than spending countless hours on the interweb researching and researching and researching!

Comment

Working...
                                X