oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

My 2004 F115 is leaking oil from the water intake on the lower unit. I am getting ready to replace the water pump. Will the two O rings that come with the water pump kit fix this problem?

You need to determine the source of the leak first. Without knowing where the oil is coming from I don't see how anyone can tell you that the O rings will or will not solve the problem.

With the lower unit removed check the drive shaft. Is it oily at the top down to the water pump or is it oily from below the water pump.

Comment

There are oil seals above the lower unit and there are oil seals within the lower unit.

Comment

The o rings that will come with the kit will not fix your problem, if it is engine oil it is running down the drive shaft from the oil pump.
        You need to pressure check the gear case at 14psi. Did you have water in your gear case? Or did you check it?

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
          The o rings that will come with the kit will not fix your problem, if it is engine oil it is running down the drive shaft from the oil pump.
          You need to pressure check the gear case at 14psi. Did you have water in your gear case? Or did you check it?
          +1 ^^.

The WP Kit seals the WP impeller housing, etc only.. It doesn't seal oil in the LU itself.

Also, when checking pressure, make sure the LU is EMPTY of oil.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

easy to tell what kind of oil is leaking out, just a little on your finder and smell it

Comment

Working...
            X