I bet Panasonic has the answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet Panasonic has the answer

Regarding mixing hydro fluids. I have some new mil spec 5606 in two brands. Aeroshell and Phillips 66. Would there be a problem mixing them in a hydraulic steering system. I don’t think I have quite enough of either to fill the system.

Perfectly acceptable.

In most all instances it is the specification that is given for a product to be used. The brand is irrelevant. Normally the brand won't even be specified. Which is why Seastar says to use 5606 without mentioning who is the supplier of the 5606.

Are the two products the exact same specification? There are several generations of 5606.

Comment

What kind of oil should I use in my SeaStar system?

Recommended oils for your steering system are: SeaStar Fluid, P/N HA5430 (1 quart), HA5440 (1 gallon). The following brands are acceptable: Chevron® Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A, Esso® Univis N15 or J13, Mobil® Aero HFA, Petro Canada Harmony HV115 (in Canada only), Shell® Aero Fluid #41, Texaco® HO15 and other fluids meeting MIL SPEC H-5606-G.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/supp...ering-systems/

5606G-G has been superceded by 5606-H. Seastar has not updated their website.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=10....0.ixjjPCFQD4w

Comment

Mix away..Mix away.

I hate the smell of 5606 that comes out a
        grey murky mess from oleos. Nice and red when it goes in and stinking mess when it comes out..

Comment

Both brands are the -H version. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            Mix away..Mix away.

I hate the smell of 5606 that comes out a
            grey murky mess from oleos. Nice and red when it goes in and stinking mess when it comes out..
            It is a wonder that planes still fly, cars continue to steer and brakes still stop. The stuff is absolutely disgusting when the systems are purged. Pus.

Comment

What is contaminating it to make it like that?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                What is contaminating it to make it like that?
                Apparently the stuff attracts water. Fill cap is vented....On the Seastar system.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Apparently the stuff attracts water. Fill cap is vented....On the Seastar system.
                  Then if it can attract water should the entire system be drained periodically and fully replaced and if so how often? My Sea Star I am not sure it is vented? I thought they made vented and non vented?
                  Dennis
                  Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post

Then if it can attract water should the entire system be drained periodically and fully replaced and if so how often? My Sea Star I am not sure it is vented? I thought they made vented and non vented?
                    Not sure about vented/non vented. Believe my cap is vented.

Comment

The helm pump should be checked periodically (say once a year) for the proper quantity of fluid. If it starts out bright red (5606) and then starts to look or smell funky, I would change it then. Same with Seastar fluid but it will be amber coloured I believe. Watch for any colour change or smell change.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Not sure about vented/non vented. Believe my cap is vented.
                        Vented cap part # HA5431 non vent part # HA5432. They both look basically the except the non vented cap is not open on the inside of the cap.
                        Dennis
                        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Vented cap part # HA5431 non vent part # HA5432. They both look basically the except the non vented cap is not open on the inside of the cap.
                          Hmmm. Don’t know what I have. It is a brand new cap. Rebuilder dude replaced my old one.

Comment

I got the steering system hooked back up, filled and bled of air. Flushed the lines and cylinder. Actually removed the seals on cylinder and swabbed the inside with a plastic pistol bore cleaning rod with cloth. Hope that all the sediment is gone for now. Steering is smooth as silk once again.

Comment

Working...
                            X