X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Weld

I am a believer.
    https://youtu.be/H4xX7VecgzA

I have glued flywheel magnets in with cold weld two part, made by permatex. good stuff but hard to find in stores.

Comment

Very impressive!!
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

JB Weld is great stuff!.....used it for many years.

Comment

I used it once (forgot the project), worked good.

But nice to see how well it works compared to other products makes guessing what to use a "no brainer" now..
          Scott

Comment

Nope can't go along with that. I give the man credit for his efforts in making his videos, he puts a lot of effort into them. But this test was flawed big time.

You can't test a two part epoxy product, like JB weld against all the other one part products he did. The two part epoxy will win every time, no contest, as seen in the video.

There are plenty of slow cure two part epoxy products out there, metalset, fastweld 10, etc. . that he could have used.

Nothing wrong with JB weld, but there are better out there if you know what to look for.

Compare apples to apples...he didn't do that.

Comment

Yes you are right, it is an epoxy product and presumably it's strength can also be improved upon by proper temperature curing if the project allows.

But I think his approach was to generally test popular glues out there on their claims that they stick together various materials, everyday repairs if you like.

Nevertheless it is good that he has gone to such trouble, so it is informative. Not sure why you would glue a bolt, a different class of strength needed, only an amateur (ignorant person) would contemplate that. On that vein who would glue down an engine head? I was surprised by the instant fail though (which one was the JBWeld?.

Comment

Just looks like a rigged advertisement to me, no different to motors pulling competitors backwards or anything else, you set the "tests" and products to suit the desired outcome, any glue/epoxy is a patch, plain and simple, some patches last longer than others, but, nothing is better than a repair.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                  Nope can't go along with that. I give the man credit for his efforts in making his videos, he puts a lot of effort into them. But this test was flawed big time.

You can't test a two part epoxy product, like JB weld against all the other one part products he did. The two part epoxy will win every time, no contest, as seen in the video.

There are plenty of slow cure two part epoxy products out there, metalset, fastweld 10, etc. . that he could have used.

Nothing wrong with JB weld, but there are better out there if you know what to look for.

Compare apples to apples...he didn't do that.
                  Agreed with the above however, JB weld is easily found (at least down here), the others you posted above, never heard of them (nor seen them in any store).

I suppose you could order on-line what you posted above but if JB weld works well, and it's easily available, I'm going to use that..
                  Scott

Comment

I like his videos. They seem to be honest and fair in the way he regulates the tests.

For this one, I agree that the products compared are not equal. But I think that was the point. Some of these "TV Special" products make rather glorious claims and the purpose of the video was to test just how good those claims were compared to other "professional" (for lack of a better term) products. Another good two-part is MarineTex and PC-11, which I've used in the marine industry for decades.
                    Last edited by DennisG01; 02-03-2019, 01:05 PM.
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

marine tex is a pain to mix.
                      JB is simple and works well.
                      I just JB'd an upper case on a merc-loser that is warped at the lower to upper oil transfer hole.
                      I will file it down Monday and save the upper.
                      best two part I ever used was a product called Red Hand.
                      I bet no one here has ever heard of it.
                      BTW that was about 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        marine tex is a pain to mix.
                        JB is simple and works well.
                        I just JB'd an upper case on a merc-loser that is warped at the lower to upper oil transfer hole.
                        I will file it down Monday and save the upper.
                        best two part I ever used was a product called Red Hand.
                        I bet no one here has ever heard of it.
                        BTW that was about 1969.
                        Weren’t you about 12 years old in 1969?

Comment

I used some Belzona 1221 super E-metal before and it worked well

But the last was JB W when I filled in the big divit close to my stat on my C40. that was after I had the outer hole welded up

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Weren’t you about 12 years old in 1969?
                            He got into his dad's stash. At the time he was taking all of his dad's tools apart to see how they worked.

Comment

Working...
                            X