No announcement yet.

C40TLRX gear box drive shaft seals replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was me i'd pull the carrier, if you break it replace it. If you need heat use map gas, it will do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

I would do like Wally said and have a poke at it...see if you can get it back in place. Pull the little shift shaft seal carrier, get a good Brite flashlight and a straightened out coat hanger...nothing to lose at this point if it works.
      It is no where to be seen, I have looked all I see it the rod/pin thru the hole.
      so the carrier has to come out.
      may take a few days, but I will see about rigging up a slide hammer like Rod mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
        If it was me i'd pull the carrier, if you break it replace it. If you need heat use map gas, it will do the job.
        Yep going to pull it somehow.
        I do have a home made Propane burner that I light big BBQ pit wood stacks with if I need heat.
        or have a friend with a torch

my youngest son is a diesel mechanic in la.
        he could not get the carrier out of his C115 a few years ago so he took it to a shop close to him , they just picked the lower unit up and swung it down against a wooded bench with something soft to catch the prop shaft and carried when it popped out.
        I am not a fan of doing that, but we shall see.

Comment

Well I got the carrier and prop shaft out today.
          home made slide hammer and some heat.
          2 propane torches, one on each side and then banging on the slide hammer.
          broke the slide hammer tee handle, but got it moving.( apparently a bad weld job)
          Did not burn any paint, just heated until I saw bubbles coming out of the crack between carrier and housing( less that 300F according to an infrared gun on the upper painted half ).
          But then there is not much paint on the lower half of the area I was heating.
          but then the fog cleared off I I went fishing(or should I say boat riding) with the friend that was helping me.
          Bay water looked great, but only one hit on the lures we were throwing.
          and the sea fog was still hanging around over the water.

maybe I can get to cleaning it all up and ordering parts tomorrow

Comment

Pic's?......
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No hill for a hill climber.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Pic's?......
                I will try to locate my camera later today when I start cleaning it all up to take a few pics.
                Let see if I can get some pic loaded here. 100_1819.JPG
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 99yam40; 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Looks like great headway!
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Looks like you run in shallow sandy water a lot...got all the paint worn off!!

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Looks like you run in shallow sandy water a lot...got all the paint worn off!!
                      Yep. Looks like mine. Just glad
                      sand, oysters and mud is all we worry about. None of those nasty rocks down here.

Comment

I normally sight fish for Reds, but catch some specks and flounder also in that shallow water, just not normal to see those and catch them after seeing them swim off when spooked.

this time of year is not too good for where I normally fish.
                        when water is real clear it is also cold so the reds are in deeper water getting away from the cold .
                        during the summer and fall I find reds with their backs sticking out of the water it is so shallow sometimes.
                        tricky part is getting a piece of plastic to run thru the water that shallow and not spook the fish you are trying to catch.
                        I normally fish water just deep enough to float the boat.
                        there are times I have to get out and wade to reach the fish I see.

I started out many years ago wading, but now 66 I try to stay in the boat and push pole along the flats as much as I can.

Comment

the so called Waterpump housing assembly (actually drive shaft seal housing)and 2 o rings were not in stock,
                          Parts should ship Monday they say.

Comment

Sounds like you have some good fishing when the conditions are right. I loved fly fishing for Atlantic salmon or trout in rivers...but have not done so in years now. Mostly just Cod, and mackerel now.

The river boat guys amaze me. Basically 25 foot flat back canoe with a 25-30 HP going up and down a river that is nothing but rocks..most have no skeg left.

How is it on your W/P inpeller? Do they wear out quickly?

Comment

I keep an eye on the tell tail just in case, but I get 2years out of a water pump kit.
                              the cup and wear plat have groves , but the rubber impeller is still looking OK.

Cutting the mud and sand is just normally stopping(coming off plane the lower digs in and stops the boat) and trying to get back up on plane.
                              If I do not want to spend a long time idling out to find deeper water, a lot of times I turn the wheel hard right and peg the throttle to get the boat to lean over to get the lower unit off the bottom.
                              once I get a little speed going running in a circle like that I can straighten it out on plane.

I have had a couple of guys fly fish off of the front of my 16' aluminum boat, but at times you could use a cane pole to hang the fish as long as they have the heads down digging for food and not spook.

Single fish are a lot harder to get to bite sometimes. 2 or more in a group and they compete for the food and get very aggressive. 1st come 1st serve
                              I have had the fish eat the lure and then chase the small float 12 to 18 " in front of it.( the float helps keep the line and lure of the bottom and grass/moss in the real shallow water.)
                              you are reeling as fast as you can to try to pick up the slack to set the hook.
                              In shallow water and being able to see all of this going on is a blast

Comment

Well the parts showed up yesterday.
                                Found them in mail box when I got back from the farm.
                                put the lower unit back together today and back on the motor.

tried pressure testing before putting the water pump back on so I could be able to see the drive shaft seals, but that popped the shift shaft seal housing out. had to put water pump on so the bottom wear plate would hold things in place.

everything checked up OK.
                                so I installed it onto motor and filled up with lube.
                                hope to put in the water before too long, the motor needs to be run
                                but there is a call for ran this week.
                                we shall see

Comment

Working...
                                X