No announcement yet.

2007 f115tlr drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cracked impeller brass ring while deep drop fishing in the devils triangle...
    I would not replace the lower unit unless I had a spare one lying about.

I'd drain the oil. Consider remove the four bolts and the seal carrier. Bring the lower unit to a TIG welder, along with the new key in hand. Have them lay a bead or two on the sides of the slot only. You are going to want some real material to hold that key. My thoughts are that the JB alone would likely turn to paste in short time. Now the weld does not have to be perfect. Perfect is the enemy of good enough. You need enough weld to hold the key perpendicular and solid, the rest can be JB Weld... hand file, grind, and sand the weld smooth.

Install a new seal(s) regardless of its perceived condition (seals? Do the have double (two) lip seals?)

Let us know how the saga ends. I love a happy ending... ( as does Bob Kraft, assumedly)
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

if you buy Yamaha parts we don't worry about a brass ring splitting as it wont exist.
      you have a few options,dremel out all that nasty stuff and JB weld it.
      taker it to a machine shop and have them cut another keyway.
      takes about 2 hours to replace the shaft.
      seeing as the gears have not failed and all your doing is a shaft shimming is simply way to simple.
      BEFORE you disassemble the unit flip it upside down and check the fwd to pinion lash.
      then check it when reassembled with a new shaft.
      adjust shims as required to obtain the former shaft lash and your good to go.
      see how easy this stuff is?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        if you buy Yamaha parts we don't worry about a brass ring splitting as it wont exist.
        you have a few options,dremel out all that nasty stuff and JB weld it.
        taker it to a machine shop and have them cut another keyway.
        takes about 2 hours to replace the shaft.
        seeing as the gears have not failed and all your doing is a shaft shimming is simply way to simple.
        BEFORE you disassemble the unit flip it upside down and check the fwd to pinion lash.
        then check it when reassembled with a new shaft.
        adjust shims as required to obtain the former shaft lash and your good to go.
        see how easy this stuff is?
        if i go that route ill have to do some research and what you are talking about, because I have no clue at this point lol.... if i where to replace the whole shaft i might as well replace all the components that come with it?

Comment

Originally posted by planseafishing View Post

if i go that route ill have to do some research and what you are talking about, because I have no clue at this point lol.... if i where to replace the whole shaft i might as well replace all the components that come with it?
          Rodbolt mentioned JB Weld as an option...

Comment

when you order a shaft that is all you get from Yamaha

Comment

If the OP is not comfortable with repairing with JB Weld or any other means the only option is to take the lower to a decent shop. A possible $60 solution may now be $600-$700 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                If the OP is not comfortable with repairing with JB Weld or any other means the only option is to take the lower to a decent shop. A possible $60 solution may now be $600-$700 or more.
                I am waiting for my insurance rep to come out tomorrow, I have never personally used JB weld, and i'm sure its pretty simple, but at this point would much rather have a machine shop professional fix it and cut a new key. would hate to have my kids on the boat and be stuck somewhere and have the evil stare that all wifes can give.... thanks for everyones inputs and multiple options

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

when you order a shaft that is all you get from Yamaha
                  yes i a realize it cost 299 for just the shaft, my thought process is its already open why not replace 12 years of abuse? I bought a used boat, with a used motor, and obliviously there are signs of neglect... but again i could be being over cautious

Comment

Just to give a quick update I was overly cautious and just bought a new lower unit thanks for all the advice... I’m sure this used one will find a home with more mechanical incline than I

Comment

well at least you can enjoys the water now.

What did you insurance have to say

Comment

Just to give a quick update I was overly cautious and just bought a new lower unit thanks for all the advice... I’m sure this used one will find a home with more mechanical incline than I
                        I’’ll give you $100 for the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          well at least you can enjoys the water now.

What did you insurance have to say
                          It was due to corrsion and not normal wear and tear always something with that crap

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

I’’ll give you $100 for the old one.
                            I might as well open it up and learn how to do repairs for that price

Comment

Anyone know how to inspect the seal, and circle clip that you insert the lower unit into on the actual motor?

Comment

Anyone know how to inspect the seal, and circle clip that you insert the lower unit into on the actual motor?
                                Are you referring to the drive shaft bushing perhaps.? As you look up into the midsection?

Comment

Working...
                                X