2007 f115tlr drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 f115tlr drive shaft

hey guys I purchased a used boat that has this motor with just under 400 hours. while replacing the water pump I noticed that the woodruff key was damaged (rusting due to improper maintenance i believe) I had to kind of jimmy it back into the impeller, I have put about 30 hours on since with no issues but this problem is still in the back of my mind. Does anyone know what it would cost to repair the damage? i believe it will need a new shaft, keys, seals, grease, ect.... or is it cheaper (i know its easier) to buy a complete lower unit for around 1700 bucks? I am not comfortable enough to kind of do that work myself so it would defiantly have to go to a certified dealer. thanks for any and all inputs!

Originally posted by planseafishing View Post
    hey guys I purchased a used boat that has this motor with just under 400 hours. while replacing the water pump I noticed that the woodruff key was damaged (rusting due to improper maintenance i believe) I had to kind of jimmy it back into the impeller, I have put about 30 hours on since with no issues but this problem is still in the back of my mind. Does anyone know what it would cost to repair the damage? i believe it will need a new shaft, keys, seals, grease, ect.... or is it cheaper (i know its easier) to buy a complete lower unit for around 1700 bucks? I am not comfortable enough to kind of do that work myself so it would defiantly have to go to a certified dealer. thanks for any and all inputs!
    The woodruff key should fit very snuggly in the main shaft.

Removing it, is often the hardest part of the job.

I'd clean the shaft, / notch, get a new key and see how well it fits. You should have to gently tap it into the shaft. As long as it's snug, your good.

I'd do that way before buying a new lower end. If you replaced the WP impeller, you can remove the key. With a new key, and if the impeller is not damaged, it should easily slide over the key / shaft.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-17-2019, 09:34 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

thanks for the response, maybe i will try that prior to jumping the gun.... ! 10 bucks is a lot cheaper than 1700!

Comment

Pictures??

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Pictures??
          Sure:

Scott

Comment

Very funny sir

Comment

Pictures??
              Sorry, I am currently deployed and away from my baby, just trying to get some input from others too see what im working on when i get home.... but it does look very similar to the pick above with a little corrosion nothing major from this picture... the key is differently worn out i didn't realize that the slot was a moon slot shape... i thought some of the key may have broken off in the shaft... so thanks for posting that pick as well!

Comment

Sorry, I am currently deployed and away from my baby, just trying to get some input from others too see what im working on when i get home.... but it does look very similar to the pick above with a little corrosion nothing major from this picture... the key is differently worn out i didn't realize that the slot was a moon slot shape... i thought some of the key may have broken off in the shaft... so thanks for posting that pick as well!
                You can bugger up the shaft but you gotta smack it pretty hard with a sharp object.

You should be good and yes, it IS a "moon shaped key"..
                Scott

Comment

They don't really wear. They do get abused by some who try to remove them in a frustrated angry state of mind. I learned the hard way myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Sure:

This lower is far too clean. It begs to be used. Diet should consist of more sand and mud.

Comment

They don't really wear. They do get abused by some who try to remove them in a frustrated angry state of mind. I learned the hard way myself.
                      sounds about right because as soon as i lifted the impeller it fell out, my first boat so im learning

Comment

I have never had one fall out, never.

Comment

I have a feeling someone did a little sanding on the key or grinding on the shaft to make it easier to get in and out

Comment

I have put them in a vise and filed the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              I have a feeling someone did a little sanding on the key or grinding on the shaft to make it easier to get in and out
                              would that ruin the integrity of of the shaft?

Comment

Working...
                              X