Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to upgrade basic analog tach on new F50LB to 6Y8 or 6Y5 Yamaha digital tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to upgrade basic analog tach on new F50LB to 6Y8 or 6Y5 Yamaha digital tach

I have a new F50LB on a new Alweld 1756 Marsh VV CC. It came with a single gauge: a super-basic analog tach-only gauge, without even Temp and Oil idiot lights. Being a wiz with wiring, electronics, and such, I want to upgrade the tach to a Yamaha digital, either the 6Y5 or 6Y8. Looks like the 6Y8 taps into an engine data bus and the 6Y5 connects directly/conventionally.

Which do you experts think would be an easier install? Is the Oil/Trim wiring for the 6Y5 already present in the harness (motor is 2018 model), or is that added? I ask because Yam sells a 16' and 20' trim cable as an accessory to the gauge. If not in the bundle already, I'd have to pull it thru a conduit alongside the main engine harness, but that is no big deal.

I'd prefer the less expensive 6Y5 to the Command 6Y8, but if the 6Y8 is plug-n-play that would save time and working under a cramped center console panel.

I've searched on the web a fair bit for info, but what I've seen so far is old and/or skimpy.

TIA for any input you have, and glad to be here.

They will both be plug and play. 6Y5 is analog. 6Y8 is digital.

Too bad you could not get into MIT.

Last edited by boscoe99; 01-17-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

6Y5 Analog? I mean the 6Y5-8350T-D0-00 multifunction digital tach gauge - definitely digital. Thanks for the pics.

EDIT: I found the 2017 rigging catalog where you got the pic, and I see I will need the gauge plus a "dual-fuse harness" 6Y5-83553-N0-00, and a "Trim and Oil harness 2005+" 6Y5-83653-00-00 (the 16.4 ' length) - unless they are already there. I suspect the double fuse one is there to facilitate connecting the no-name analog tach that is in there from the dealer, but the trim/oil harness is likely not.

I will have to look and see when I get a chance. I can look under the cowling to see if the trim and oil connectors are connected, then peer under the console - there's a bunch of excess/unused wires zip-tied into a bundle there. Once I know what I need - I'll order it all up. Seems straightforward enough.

MIT? The Ga Tech of the North? Just fired a guy from there for cooking fish in his cube and starting a fire. Couldn't pronounce his name anyway.
      Last edited by jawjatek; 01-17-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jawjatek View Post
        6Y5 Analog? I mean the 6Y5-8350T-D0-00 multifunction digital tach gauge - definitely digital. Thanks for the pics.

EDIT: I found the 2017 rigging catalog where you got the pic, and I see I will need the gauge plus a "dual-fuse harness" 6Y5-83553-N0-00, and a "Trim and Oil harness 2005+" 6Y5-83653-00-00 (the 16.4 ' length) - unless they are already there. I suspect the double fuse one is there to facilitate connecting the no-name analog tach that is in there from the dealer, but the trim/oil harness is likely not.

I will have to look and see when I get a chance. I can look under the cowling to see if the trim and oil connectors are connected, then peer under the console - there's a bunch of excess/unused wires zip-tied into a bundle there. Once I know what I need - I'll order it all up. Seems straightforward enough.

MIT? The Ga Tech of the North? Just fired a guy from there for cooking fish in his cube and starting a fire. Couldn't pronounce his name anyway.
        Digital display yes but an analog instrument. It uses the same analog inputs that the 6Y5 needle and dial analog gauge uses.

As opposed to Command Link which is a digital gauge with digital display.

I am surprised that a yellow jacket would not know that. How about them Clemson Tigers?

Comment

First of all, I can see you are the resident know-it-all, and perhaps feeling like you need to piss on the leg of any newbie to assert your dominance. LOL. Whatever, skippy. Piss away.

Second of all, I rarely engage in college banter, but if I do, it is never with anyone who isn't a graduate of the college they are bantering about. I doubt you are a graduate of MIT - Clemson maybe, but they aren't exactly known for academics, are they?

Third, the 6Y5 is not an analog gauge by anyone's definition except yours. The 6Y5 may have some front-end conditioning circuitry for the tach pulse (green wire) interface, and/or ADC for the trim pot (pun intended), but the rest is digital, and to claim otherwise only exhibits a fundamental ignorance of the subject.

I am going fishing for the rest of the day. My questions were only to ascertain which components I needed to purchase to do the install myself. Your pic led me to the rigging catalog which has everything I need to know, so thanks for that. I don't need any help hooking it up.

Comment

looks like someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

As Bosco mentioned there are analog signals and digital signals

Comment

I give and I give and I give. It is never enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                looks like someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

As Bosco mentioned there are analog signals and digital signals
                Knowing how sensitive Georgia Tech grads are I was testing to see if he were one. He are.

Shame they don't teach the difference down there about analog versus digital data bus instrumentation. Remember the old clocks that flipped mechanical numbers to display the time? That might be referred to as a digital clock by some.

It kills them that the lowly and poorly educated Georgia Bulldogs whip their arse's year end and year out. Oh, and just about everyone else they play.

You know what a Geogia Tech grad says to the Bulldog grad? Yes sir, I will get right on the assignment that you have given me. I worked with scads of them before I retired. They were all millennials before there were millennials.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 01-18-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I was going to make a comment about GT grads having no sense of humor. Looks like the OP did that for me. lol

Comment

I am still trying to understand cooking fish in a cube
                    was he using an open flame?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      I was going to make a comment about GT grads having no sense of humor. Looks like the OP did that for me. lol
                      This all flies over my head, I'm from another country where I don't think there is this sort of tension in this profession; in other areas maybe.

The point about this is the people that reply here give an honest answer and do not know the expertise of the poster. It is not fair then for a poster to respond in quite such a way as it appears. However one can misinterpret or not fully understand what may have been meant and all responses need to be taken with a grain of salt, and no one should be offended unless offence was really meant. Everything should be taken in good humour.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

This all flies over my head, I'm from another country where I don't think there is this sort of tension in this profession; in other areas maybe.

The point about this is the people that reply here give an honest answer and do not know the expertise of the poster. It is not fair then for a poster to respond in quite such a way as it appears. However one can misinterpret or not fully understand what may have been meant and all responses need to be taken with a grain of salt, and no one should be offended unless offence was really meant. Everything should be taken in good humour.
                        As seahorse is apt to say "my seriousness and sarcasm are somewhat surprisingly similar".

I was joking with the OP. My attempt at humor was not well received. Should have used a few lol lol lol's.

Comment

OMG this is funny.
                          the F50B can use an analog send to a digital Yamaha tach OR it can use the 6Y8 K line digital to digital.
                          yep it is that simple.

Comment

Working...
                          X