F250 Gear Case Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 Gear Case Housing

I have a 2015 F250. The boat has been in heated storage since October. I noticed 2 items since been stored. First their is a very slow and intermittent leak of the gear case oil. As the boat is stored inside I noticed it about a month after. The oil spot will dry up then it will leak again. this has happened approx. 3 times since October of 2018. The Oil appears to be coming from the drain plug. It has been replaced and tightened? is this common with this motor?
    2nd problem is the gear case housing, just yesterday noticed that the paint was coming off on the side of the unit. Looking closer it was obvious that their are structural components of the casting at these 4 identical locations on either side of the casting. See attached pics. I did hit a rock last july and they rebuilt the prop shaft and prop. Everything worked great through to October. Has anyone else seen this and is my housing separating? would like some feedback before I speak to the marinia that did my repair as I am assuming it could be related to the repair in January. Again what I find really odd this boat is in heated storage at room temperature since October. Its stored at my shop and I see the boat every day. Why now is this happening to the housing?

You need to take more and better photos.

Comment

Close up photo's note that the light grey colour is only glare as is the shadow line on the othe rside of the motor

Comment

I would be asking those that repaired it, what they did to cause this.
        maybe they heated the housing to take it apart and burned some paint off and then repainted.
        paint did not stick in those spots.
        but it would be mighty strange if the other side is exactly the same spots

maybe some clamping device hurt the paint and they touched it up

Oh yea I have had new gaskets on drain plug leak a little before and needed to be re-tightened after a short period of time
        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-15-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I’m also thinking some type of clamp to hold the lower while it was worked on. Perhaps try a new gasket on drain if that is where the oil is leaking.

Comment

Looks like it is from a transom saver.

Comment

Walleye is probably correct.
              new paint job on lower unit when repaired, and transom saver is just causing it to peel where it touches

Comment

Have them verify the gasket for the drain plug is new and MAINLY ask them to check that the threads are not screwed up / stripped.

That should NOT leak, I'd suspect threads damaged... Someone a little heavy with the screwdriver..(Or not tight enough)
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Could that oil come from somewhere else? Usually gear oil pours down the skeg and drip of there. The boat could be moved of course. Always put in new gaskets when the screws are opened, will leak otherwise. I tight mine with a screwdriver as much as my strength allows. They are easy to get up after next season, sometimes they have been even loose. The gaskets sets over time and I think retighting them after some time is a good idea.

Comment

Yes I have noticed mine and my brothers needed a little extra snugging up a few days or weeks after new gaskets were installed.
                    small drip noticed while stored.
                    I think the gasket squeezes out some

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Yes I have noticed mine and my brothers needed a little extra snugging up a few days or weeks after new gaskets were installed.
                      small drip noticed while stored.
                      I think the gasket squeezes out some
                      +1 ^^^ as well.

After replacing oil/gasket and then a run, I always am able to get a knats hair turn (tightening) on the drain screw..
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Always replace the gaskets, I use a screw driver that has a shaft a 3/8 inch wrench fits to tighten the drain screws. Got to use your head.

Comment

Working...
                        X