Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to "re-install" deleted oil injection system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "re-install" deleted oil injection system?

Purchased project boat this Fall that came with 2005 Yamaha 200 ETXD. Original plan was to buy new motor, but I really like this era Yamaha and this one appears to be in decent condition
    I have no history of motor, it does run strong, has even, good compression, and looks clean under cowl except for sticky residue from "protectant" that has been sprayed on everything.

Owner supposedly bought motor new and after warranty expired he "stopped" using the oil injection.

Oil tank on motor is empty,cap is missing on tank,and remote oil tank is empty.

Boat has analog Yamaha gauge, oil light in gauge is illuminated but engine runs fine.

So my questions are:
    Does Yamaha have a delete system that might have been used? Or has something been jumped to trick computer and motor to run?
    To my untrained (and inexperienced) eye- it looks like all the oil injection components are in place
    What is the best avenue to reestablish the oil injection, and is there a way to test/verify system "would" work prior to going through a lot of work up front?

Thanks to all for the help and advise

I have a suspicion that something is wrong with the oil injection system and that is why no oil in the system. When this occurred over the last 10 or more years is a guess. I suspect the buzzer in the control unit has been disconnected.
    I suppose you can add that oil to the remote tank and see if it pumps up into the engine tank, be careful as their may be a fault that the pump won't turn off overflowing oil. If that works then run the engine to see if oil flows through all the pipes, and this assumes those tubes are in good order. You can't be sure of the affect on that engine oil pump being dry for whatever period though.

Comment

Take two on that.
      You say cap is missing on engine tank. That is more than a cap it contains the oil level sensors (switches) and would have had wires coming out.
      You still can check the oil flow, just have to use the switch to pass a bit of oil. I'd check the price of that assembly first.
      I also understand there is some difficulty in sealing the "cap" if you went and obtained the sensors assembly.

Comment

You will need to chase down what all was done to the motor to eliminate the oil system.

did the oil pump drive shaft get removed?
        the oil is suppose to lube those moving parts, so if left to run without oil there is a very good chance it would damage parts including crank drive gear.

with the level switches removed from motor mounted tank and maybe the remote tank you will have to find out where the did some rewiring to make sure alarms, lights, and RPM reduction were taken care off without oil being in the system.

to answer one of your questions, no Yamaha does not make a kit or anything to remove the oil system

best thing would be to talk the person that did the work to see what all they did.
        or start digging to see what you can find
        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-13-2019, 02:57 PM.

Comment

A 200ETXD is a 1990 model year motor. There may have been a good reason for deleting the oil injection system and there may have been a stupid reason for having deleted it.

On a 28 year old motor I might just leave it as it. Cost to re-implement the system could cost more than the motor is valued at.

Comment

Good catch bosco, I was not even thinking about him posting the wrong year.
            seems there are parts not available anymore if it is a 1990
            https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...0etxd/oil-tank

Comment

Flea bay has some listed, you don't know if they work though.

Comment

Kudos to the OP for at least considering such a project. From a learning perspective. Just run it and enjoy what you get from the motor. Save your pennies.

Comment

If the engine runs well and has not carboned up, and it does not offend with excessive smoke, then the cost of leaving it alone is some extra oil and the time and effort adding it to every refil.
                  There will be some argument about the amount or ratio of all.
                  If you are using full throttle a lot, then nothing less than 50:1

Comment

Always gets me why we say full throttle when we mean no throttle, physically the inlet is fully opened, not throttled at WOT.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                      Always gets me why we say full throttle when we mean no throttle, physically the inlet is fully opened, not throttled at WOT.
                      Just as we seem to always be looking for the co-conspiracists.

Comment

Gents, Thank You for the quick and candid responses.

I agree cost to re-implement oil injection won't be cheap- but convenience (on many levels) is a concern to me as well. I don't want someone "helping' by filling the boat up and not realizing it needs pre-mix.

I am in full agreement that prior history is needed ( I am suspicious that someone would just stop using a proven oil injection system), however I don' t have that luxury.

Path of least resistance is pre-mix (I'm fine with that - I;m old)- however the convenience of not dealing with this would be nice (and safe from helpful people) if it isn't prohibitively expensive

Is there an "obvious" sign that re-installing the oil injection will, or will not work?

thanks again everyone

Comment

Just re-read my post. "Obvious" would be obvious when motor stopped running!!! My bad

What I mean is there something "obvious" that I can check that will verify whether or not the injection system will work?

Comment

If you reinstall all of the parts needed to make the oil injection system work with known good parts the system will have been restored to the factory status. That is, there is a 100% probability that it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                              Full throttle as in the throttle handle is 100% fully advanced.

No throttle means no air. No air means motor no workee.

But I know what you are saying. If a motor is throttled then there is a restriction to air flow. It is similar to using the there vacuum when we really mean pressure. Just pressure below ambient air pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X