Help Please on an Engine Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please on an Engine Issue

Considering buying a boat with a 1990 Yamaha 130ETLD.

The seller says that about two months ago he noticed water coming out of the cowling, which was caused by a pinhole in the water jacket. He says he fixed the issue with a metal epoxy, and that there were never any performance or overheating issues. The boat has reportedly ran fine since then, and reaches the low 40s (in MPH) with him and his wife and kids and the boat loaded down (the dry hull weight is 950 pounds).

Would appreciate anybody's weighing on this if you would. Thanks much.

I suppose the obvious question will be whether there's another pinhole ready to open up, and if so, when. Could be anyone's guess. Might happen in 30 days, might not happen for years, if at all. I think it's just one of those things you need to weigh (pros and cons) when looking at an engine (and of course the low price point) that is nearly 30 years old.

What about the boat? Is it just as old? Soft spots in the floor/transom/stringers? Old aluminum fuel tank?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
      I suppose the obvious question will be whether there's another pinhole ready to open up, and if so, when. Could be anyone's guess. Might happen in 30 days, might not happen for years, if at all. I think it's just one of those things you need to weigh (pros and cons) when looking at an engine (and of course the low price point) that is nearly 30 years old.

What about the boat? Is it just as old? Soft spots in the floor/transom/stringers? Old aluminum fuel tank?
      Original aluminum fuel tank, yes, but no problems with the hull as it is all composite despite the age (also 1990). Seller had the sending unit replaced within the past couple years, but the tank is the original.

Comment

The sending unit is a drop in the bucket compared to other things, but I would definitely check the tank out - they can get corroded and have leaks from age and moisture.

The transom doesn't have wood inside the fiberglass shell? Same for the stringers? Just double checking.

Comment

The sending unit is a drop in the bucket compared to other things, but I would definitely check the tank out - they can get corroded and have leaks from age and moisture.

The transom doesn't have wood inside the fiberglass shell? Same for the stringers? Just double checking.
          No, no wood ever used in the construction of these hulls, no matter how old.

And I'm with you on the fuel tank. Any boat 20+ years old, that's a concern for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara Spook View Post

No, no wood ever used in the construction of these hulls, no matter how old.
            Well, that's a definite plus! What brand is it?

Comment

Never trust anything patched with glue/epoxy/chewing gum, one hole usually means there is more on the way, tread carefully.

Comment

Well, that's a definite plus! What brand is it?
                Maverick MA 18.

Comment

Is that a "flats" style boat? I just googled for it since I wasn't familiar with it. With a 130HP, that thing must fly!... as long as there's no chop or you might "fly" out of it!

Comment

Is that a "flats" style boat? I just googled for it since I wasn't familiar with it. With a 130HP, that thing must fly!... as long as there's no chop or you might "fly" out of it!
                    I see many of those 130 V-4s running around. Apparently a Yamaha success story. I was googling a bit last night and found a site showing Yamaha still offers a carbed 200 for overseas sales. I thought the old Enduro max was 115hp. Good stuff. Hell with the EPA.

Comment

ant ti Q motor.
                      it is already telling you I am done.
                      corrosion done got me.
                      save yourself.

Comment

buy the boat and trailer if you like them,
                        but patched up block to make it run so he could sell it,
                        I would not pay much for

Comment

Once upon a time water jackets especially the one that cools the exhaust didn't last as long as the engine, and were simply replaced a bit like mufflers on cars.

I am not saying to buy that engine, but if it were real cheap and corrosion not significantly obvious elsewhere, I would still think replacing the two head jackets and the two plates for the exhaust a viable option. But as with any engine that has been around sometime your biggest hassle might be getting all those bolts out without breakage, the then subsequent removal of the thread and helicoiling, that is all doable.

Comment

Working...
                          X